What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Altenator charging system question!

JDanno

Well Known Member
I was flying with my friend in his C182 at night and I noticed that all the lights (instrument panel, overhead lights and appeared to be also the landing light) in the plane were flickering. The ammeter gauge also flickered in time with the lights. It appeared to be about 10 cycles per second, dim to bright-dim to bright. He said that it has always done that. At idle rpms it wasn't observed, but as the rpms increased the flickering got more pronounced.
My theory is that the alternator regulator has lost some of its diodes that smooth out the power and is causing a pronounced ripple effect in the electricity generated.
Is this any cause for concern?
Any other (better) theories??? Thanks, Dan

Per Zeftronics:

Flickering / oscillating ammeter and panel lights.
Check the 5 Amp breaker, ALT switch, and connections
between the bus and the input to the ACU for high resistance
or intermittent connection..

I was flying with my friend in his C182 at night and I noticed that all the lights (instrument panel, overhead lights and appeared to be also the landing light) in the plane were flickering. The ammeter gauge also flickered in time with the lights. It appeared to be about 10 cycles per second, dim to bright-dim to bright. He said that it has always done that. At idle rpms it wasn't observed, but as the rpms increased the flickering got more pronounced.
My theory is that the alternator regulator has lost some of its diodes that smooth out the power and is causing a pronounced ripple effect in the electricity generated.
Is this any cause for concern?
Any other (better) theories??? Thanks, Dan

Dan,
There are NO diodes in the voltage regulator. There ARE diodes [they form the rectifier] in the alternator.
Charlie Kuss

Prestolite Starter & Alternator Manuals Available On Line

Dan,
You probably don't have a Prestolite alternator. However, alternators are basically similar, so the info in the Prestolite manual is useful. You can download a copy of Prestolite's Service manual for both alternator and starter motors here. See

http://www.csobeech.com/files/PrestoliteStarterAlternatorManual.pdf

Charlie

PS I also have articles on Alternator Troubleshooting from 2 Aviation related Publications. Contact me via email and I'll send you a copy of each

It almost sounds to me as if one of the time constants in the regulator has changed causing it to go into a limit-cycle oscillation.

Back