What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alodine tank size

Hi there

I am about to alodine the main elements of the rv10 tailcone. I am interested in building a frame that will take the largest pieces that I will come across in the wings and fuz. Given that I only have the tailcone at present that becomes difficult. Is anyone able to give me advice as to the largest sized pieces in those kits... Many thanks...

Cheers

Paul

I used a 30 gallon storage container and the box that the wing spar was shipped in lined with plastic. You could also use a plastic gutter for the long pieces in the tail kit.

Seal-A-Meal bags

Paul-
Can?t answer your question about the size of RV-10 parts but have a tip for processing long components you may find helpful. Did not use Alodine but a similar SanChem process on the RV-12?s long stabilator spar box components.

I elected to use 8" Seal-A-Meal bags. The bags come as a durable long hollow tube ? I unrolled more than enough from the roll without cutting and then clamped the plastic roll at the roll end to make somewhat of a seal. Slid the long part in, added the conversion solution, sealed the open end and sloshed away. This worked rather well but you do need to slosh the liquid from end to end otherwise the bag material will pull up against the metal.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4i9oZLwCpwY/UADrc0ORFzI/AAAAAAAAAkE/SCeMI6OGaIU/s1600/DSC02154.JPG

Enjoy your build!

John
www.dogaviation.com
dues paid until late summer

I used a 30 gallon storage container and the box that the wing spar was shipped in lined with plastic. You could also use a plastic gutter for the long pieces in the tail kit.

So did you roll wing skins etc and drop them into the 30 gal container? Or some other method?

cheers

Paul

Paul-
Can?t answer your question about the size of RV-10 parts but have a tip for processing long components you may find helpful. Did not use Alodine but a similar SanChem process on the RV-12?s long stabilator spar box components.

I elected to use 8" Seal-A-Meal bags. The bags come as a durable long hollow tube ? I unrolled more than enough from the roll without cutting and then clamped the plastic roll at the roll end to make somewhat of a seal. Slid the long part in, added the conversion solution, sealed the open end and sloshed away. This worked rather well but you do need to slosh the liquid from end to end otherwise the bag material will pull up against the metal.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4i9oZLwCpwY/UADrc0ORFzI/AAAAAAAAAkE/SCeMI6OGaIU/s1600/DSC02154.JPG

Enjoy your build!

John
www.dogaviation.com
dues paid until late summer

That approach looks pretty interesting.

cheers

Paul

Wet Sheet Method

Has anyone tried to use an alodine wet sheet over the part? I have heard of some using that technique to keep control of the alodine solution over a large area.

cheers

Paul

Why Aldine?

I don't mean to talk you out of alodining but that cumbersome step is simply unnecessary , especially the inside of tank parts. In addition, alodine solution is highly toxic to both you and the environment.
There is absolutely no evidence of any Rv fuel tanks that have ever corroded.
On the other hand, there is a mountain of fuel tanks that have had their inside treatment peel off.
The plans call for you to lightly roughen the contact surfaces where pro seal is applied and proceed with assembly.
Do as you wish, and remember it's the alclad coating that provides superior corrosion protection especially when they are submersed in fuel.

So did you roll wing skins etc and drop them into the 30 gal container? Or some other method?

cheers

Paul

Some other method. I only alodined the inside of the skins. I used s foam brush while the skin was over one of the tanks. Messy and a pain to do.

Back