What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Almost rv14 mod

dbaflyer

Well Known Member
Started to work on the installation but before I go cutting out my existing seat back I wanted to measure to make sure what I had fits.

From what I can tell my fuselage is too narrow given the width of the replacement support. The anti-splat bar is 42 1/8 at the front and narrows to 41 3/4 at the back. I measured my fuselage from below at the two bolts holding down the canopy block. Measuring in between the inside of each longeron which is where the anti-splat replace bar must fit between. My fuselage is 41 3/4 at the front and 41 7/16 at the rear. This would roughly require 3/16th trimming from each side of the anti-splat support before it would fit in there.

I think there is room to do that but wanted to see if someone else had to go down the same path. I hate to cut out the old and not have the new fit.

Another perspective: I laid the anti-splat support across the top of my canopy blocks where I think it would probably go. That support extends about 1/16th inch past each canopy block. Essentially it almost extends from outside fuselage to outside fuselage, but in order for it to fit it has to be narrower by at least the width of the longeron.

Attachments

• IMG_3752.JPG
    IMG_3752.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3753.JPG
    IMG_3753.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3754.JPG
    IMG_3754.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3755.JPG
    IMG_3755.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3756.JPG
    IMG_3756.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 73
Trim to fit.

From memory - did mine in 2016. Trim to fit snuggly. And so the fuselage measurement after install will be same as before cutting out the old one. Think about it- if it was too short what would u do? ACS provides them slightly large cuz no 2 fuselages are the same.
Best mod available.

Before you cut out the existing crossbar, measure the width of the fuselage from a known point as you did and record the number.

The fuselage will spring either wider or narrower without the crossbar depending on how the airplane is supported (under the wing spar vs on the landing gear with engine, or taildragger vs nosegear).

Before you drill holes on the AntiSplat bar, ensure the fuselage sides are pushed/pulled back to original width. On my taildragger -6, IIRC my fuselage sprung 1/4" wider when I cut out the original bar.

Back