What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Almost an RV-14 seat modifications review on my RV7A – Tip UP.

Skysled7a

I'm New Here
This is a good product for the taller pilots, gives you more room all around (legs, arms and torso). You still have the option to go back to the original position, I at 5’9” and on short flights prefer lifting/inserting the tab to place my seat back almost to the original position. Nonetheless with my taller friends as passengers it works great, they now comfortably fit in the right seat. On a long flight I drop it back, again I at 5’ 9” can reach everything with the seat back. This modification adds value to your aircraft as it now can accommodate all sizes of pilots and passengers. The modification for the tip up also required me to cut trim and re-rivet both seats by ½ inch or so to clear the further back reach so as to not have the side bolts touch the sides of the cockpit, this also has on the tip up the advantage of not having anything rub on lowering or raising the canopy. The modification to my tip up canopy was trickier but quite manageable. You need to print out the PDF for the RV6 & RV6A Seat back Brace Modifications Tilt Up Canopy instructions located on the AntiSplatAero download section and purchase extra materials from Vans. Namely 1 WD-617-PC Canopy Latch Bar and the 4 X C-611 blocks, the PDF shows black blocks mine were white. The PDF also recommends 2 X AN-161-10-32 Fork turnbuckles and AN-486-10-32 Clevis. Not mentioned in the PDF but required is the following hardware: Washers, Drilled AN bolts, Castle nuts and some spacers to hold and align the blocks behind the channel (see PDF). If you have a tonneau cover for the luggage you will need to modify and reposition the Velcro or whatever you have to fasten it down, it turns out ok , just had to remove and resow Velcro to cover the seat tabs when fully retracted or roll up the vinyl cover and Velcro the underside to keep it rolled up when the seats are extended to the new position. You will need to use some touch up primer to touch up the areas old extrusion (back of seat) was cut and grinded down, the new plate on the tower requires you to use the unibit to drill the new holes for your headphones and microphones. I used grey primer (rust oleum) and brushed it on, not elegant but ok and hidden under the tonneau cover. It is a nice project took me longer that expected because I was laying 400 square feet of hardwood floors in the house at the same time.

Enjoy, this is a well worth mod.

Back