What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

All in the house that Jack built.

McFly

Well Known Member
I am at the point where I am starting to dry fit the wheel, leg and transition fairings to my RV-7. I am using fairings-ect transition fairings.

It looks to me that in order to get the bottom engine cowl off. I will have to :

1) take the fuse/leg transition fairing off. The cowl looks like it will not clear the leg fairing (I guess this is the big question). So I will have to:
2) take the leg fairing off. The leg fairing will is secured by the wheel pant fairing. So I will have to:
3) take the front wheel pant fairing off.

So essentially to get to the bottom cowl off, I have to take all of the fairing off except the rear wheel fairing. Please tell me that I have inhaled too much fiberglass and this is not how it works.

Bonus question: After paint, how do you remove all off the various fiberglass parts without trashing the paint job?

Last edited:
Cowl removal

At least with my setup, I don't have to remove everything. Make the slot wide enough. My cowl-to-gear fairing covers everything, and it has to be removed. Not the gear fairing nor nose pant. Cover the gear fairing with electrical tape or some such to prevent damage.

Bob Kelly

Like this

Hugh,
I have a bunch of 7 friends and the easiest way is to bond/glass the forward half of the upper leg intersection fairing to the lower cowl. The rear half can be held in place with only two screws and nutplates or similar. You simply remove the lower cowl and leave everything else in place.

We bonded our lower ones to the pants with glass mixed with flox or powdered glass and scuffed everything really heavily with 60 grit. If your upper fairings are one-piece units, cut them in half to produce a forward half and a rear half. You can make a small 1/2" joggle so that the front half overlays the rear half as you fit the cowl.
Regards,

great idea

I have a bunch of 7 friends and the easiest way is to bond/glass the forward half of the upper leg intersection fairing to the lower cowl. The rear half can be held in place with only two screws and nutplates or similar. You simply remove the lower cowl and leave everything else in place.

That is a great idea Pierre, thanks! That seems like it will make things much easier. :)

Gotta go. My plane is making it's naked debut at the EAA meeting in the town just north of here :cool:

My parents

Hi Hugh,
My folks live in Paradise as well as a brother and sister. When I come out there later this year, I'll have to look you up!
Pierre

Back