What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aligning gear legs

Dear Builders,

On the gear leg instructions Van's talks about using a stick "between the ground and the horizontal stabilizer". While they would usually go into the dimensions of such an item, here it just refers to a stick. While I get the intent of what they are trying to measure, I am having a hard time visualizing how this stick gets attached to the flat surface of the horizontal stabilizer. It would seem like you need several people to hold all these strings. I'm obviously missing something.

I did a search on this and did not find this particular item mentioned. Would any of you have a photo of how you did this alignment? It would be greatly appreciated.
John Brunke
RV7 QB in slow build mode.

pull some masons line...

i had great success with aligning the gear fairings by pulling mason line around the fairing and back to the tail... with the fuselage level run the line around the fairing near the root, level and parallel to the fuselage center line, then center the trailing edge of the fairing inside of the mason line... repeat for the other side...

John,

I hung plumb bobs off the Horizontal and then did as Stephen said in the
above post.
Measure from the centerline out. Hang bobs.

Back