What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alcor EGT climbing when cold

1bigdog

Well Known Member
I was getting occasional red x on #4 egt on my G3X Touch. It’s been flying for a year and in flight normal. Today red x and after a few minutes the EGT came alive and started counting up 5 degrees every 3 seconds. I reset the EIS but no change. Anyone seen this before? Obviously I’ll get into the cowl and measure the probe but why would a cold probe show incrementing with the engine off on the G3X?

Thanks.

In 16 years of using the GRT EIS and their probes, I've occasionally had a similar as well as different odd readings from the EGT and CHT probes. I almost every case replacing the terminals and soldering them on has solved the issue. A couple of times I've replaced the EGT probe.
In my case it's never been an issue with the instrument or the engine.

Connector vs solder

Hi David

Thanks for the response and your experience. When I made these connection using the crimped ring terminals I thought I had covered all the bases by torquing the terminal screw to spec and I shrink wrapped both connections. Clearly based on what you’re experience has shown and checking “erratic cht” on VAF this is a common enough issue.

Rather than solder I may consider the Omega connector as a permanent solution. That said. Yesterday I pulled the cowl. The slightest manipulation of the spring area and the red X is gone, temp normal. I’ll reseat the probe itself and put on a suspension point to mitigate any movement of the wire.

Thanks.

Back