What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Albany (NY) area airports

Joe

Well Known Member
Next month I'm flying my '8A to visit a sister in Sand Lake (east of Albany). When I made this trip 4 years ago in my Long-EZ I based at KALB which is well-located for my purposes and not prohibitively expensive.

But the RV is more tolerant of shorter strips so I'm open to suggestions. Is there something other than Albany International?

Also, I'd like to fly into Duanesburg (4B1) for an afternoon outing. Is there any RV or other experimental activity there? Is the runway surface as bad as the A/FD says?

Thanks,
Joe

Hi Joe,
Look into Schenectady KSCH very friendly airport with lesser traffic. I've been to 4B1 past winter runway wasn't in great shape. Looks like Chiriaco Summit in CA :) There is not much RV activity around Albany. There are flying RVs but none on VAF radar.

Check out 4B0. South Albany airport. It's a few miles south of the city. Nice runway, fuel and maybe even a covered tie-down if one is vacant but don't plan on it. No rental cars on site but you can always call Enterprise. It's worth a call. 4B1 Duanesburg was in pretty bad shape with a lot of loose gravel. No fuel and the only thing nearby is a small dinner and convenience store/gas station. Except for some skydiving activity on weekends it pretty much deserted. Also look at 5B7 Rensselaer County airport. No fuel and the runway is a little rough but it's only about 5 miles north of Sand Lake. I almost think I remember you asking this 4 years ago. Not much as changed. Fly safe.

Hi Joe,
Look into Schenectady KSCH very friendly airport with lesser traffic. I've been to 4B1 past winter runway wasn't in great shape. Looks like Chiriaco Summit in CA :) There is not much RV activity around Albany. There are flying RVs but none on VAF radar.

Thanks for the PIREP on 4B1, Vlad. Disappointing. Used to live nearby many years ago. I'll keep KSCH in mind but if I'm going to base at a large, towered airfield, KALB is closer for me.

Check out 4B0. South Albany airport. It's a few miles south of the city. Nice runway, fuel and maybe even a covered tie-down if one is vacant but don't plan on it. No rental cars on site but you can always call Enterprise. It's worth a call. 4B1 Duanesburg was in pretty bad shape with a lot of loose gravel. No fuel and the only thing nearby is a small dinner and convenience store/gas station. Except for some skydiving activity on weekends it pretty much deserted. Also look at 5B7 Rensselaer County airport. No fuel and the runway is a little rough but it's only about 5 miles north of Sand Lake. I almost think I remember you asking this 4 years ago. Not much as changed. Fly safe.

And thank you too, Tom. Yes, that was I four years ago! KALB worked out pretty well for my Long-EZ but I'm looking for something a little more "G.A." now that I'm flying an RV.

4B0 seems a bit far out for me. And I'm off-put by the AF/D description of 5B7. So I think I'll go back to KALB; I could do worse.

I think you summed it up well when you say "Not much has changed." That's OK because it wasn't bad; I'm only trying for "better".

--
Joe

We are at KSCH now waiting for weather to go through so we can continue west. We have been here several times and like the Richmor FBO, very nice folks. If you will need a rental car though call ahead as they are usually out of cars at Enterprise located in the FBO. However, Taxicabs seem quite reasonable. Larry

Back