What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alaska and Camera Mounts

vic syracuse

Well Known Member
Carol and I just got back from our dream vacation to Alaska.?.. To fly ourselves in an airplane we built all the way to Alaska, and hopefully the Arctic Circle. As it turns out, we got within 150 miles of the Arctic Circle, but had to stop at Fairbanks due to weather. The rest of the trip was absolutely awesome! And there are times when we think ?awesome? isn?t even adequate to describe it. We left Olympia, Washington with a group of 10 airplanes, led by Dale Hemman of LetsFlyAlaska.com. From the very first day we rarely flew at an altitude of more than 500? over the ground and a lot of time at 200', and sometimes 50' or less. We didn?t fly TO Alaska. We really FLEW Alaska. We saw Alaska in a way that is rarely seen, and we saw sights ranging from complete double rainbows, to a Black bear running at a full gallop across the surface, and beautiful pairs of swans in lakes in the middle of nowhere. We flew up and down glaciers and saw ice bluer than we would ever have imagined.
We saw Alaska in a way that the average pilot would never do alone. I know if we had gone by ourselves we would never had seen the real beauty. This fact was driven home again to us as we came back across the Rockies at 17,500'! For Alaska we had a very experienced guide (134 trips to Alaska) and 10 airplanes for safety in numbers. We had survival gear and rescue plans if needed. We all carried personal locator beacons and I installed a 406MHZ ELT prior to departure. We did our best to minimize our risk and exposure.
As a matter of fact, you can see our trip at the following link:

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=268741
Basically, we all met at Olympia, Washington and then flew up the Trench to Prince George, Whitehorse, Nrothway, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Ketchikan, and back to Olympia.

Prior to the trip I had mounted a Drift HD 170 Stealth camera under the wing. I had experimented with and designed various camera mounts for over 3 months, until I was sure I could get stable HD video without any aircraft interference, as well as capture video that would help us remember the experience when we got older. As it happened I captured the entire trip (55 hours) and it has some of the most stunning scenery ever captured by an under wing camera. Our goal now is to put it together in such a way that we can share it. I will post pictures of the camera mount in another thread, and will probably offer them prebuilt if any of you want them. Basically, I used the outboard inspection plate on the RV-10 so you can use either wing and remove it when completed. I was extremely pleased as there was no vibration and no propeller or airplane parts in the views.
Now our son, Nick, the computer whiz is laboriously editing all of the video into a couple of topics. The first one to be released will highlight the glaciers, and will be about 90 minutes in length in a Blue-ray an HD DVD format. The second one will most likely be about 3 hours of the entire trip. The 30 second promo clip should give you an idea of the stunning quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCO-IYfbg9k

In the Glacier video you will see a number of glaciers in great detail. You will see us go from lush green landscape to scenes that look like the movie set for ?March of the Penguins.? Between Fairbanks and Anchorage we flew up and down the Eldridge and Ruth Glaciers, and right between two mountain peaks that will leave you breathless. From Anchorage we flew up the Portage Glacier to the Harding Ice pack. Leaving Anchorage to Ketchican we flew into Icy Bay to see the Tyndall, Yahtsee, and Guyot Glaciers. We flew across the terminal moraines of the Bering and Malaspina Glaciers. The Sheer width of the Bering Glacier will leave you speechless, realizing how huge it is. It is the largest Glacier in North America, and allegedly it contains more ice than all of the other glaciers combined. We also flew up Shoup Bay and up and over the Shoup Glacier with a dramatic arrival right into Port Valdez, the terminus of the Alaskan Oil Pipeline. We also flew into Taylor Bay to see Brady Glacier.
While the majestic splendor of the glaciers is presented in all of their beauty, it is also very interesting to see the ?mechanics? of the glaciers at works, from the Ice Packs at the top to the terminal moraines, valleys, glacial lakes and icebergs at the bottoms of each one. One cannot help but appreciate the sheer beauty and contrasting desolation.

We got some flack for not blogging and posting pictures along the way. Frankly, the flying was intense and we captured 3-8 hours of video and 300+ pictures everyday. At the end of the day we just wanted to sit with friends and see the local sights. We decided we would put it all together when we got back.

After flying Alaska we thought about just boxing the airplane up when we returned to Olympia and ship it home. :)

We can't wait to go back.

Vic

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched the video clip. It is great! Even better view than sitting in the pilot seat. Looking forward to seeing the full length videos.

The Gorge

About flying up the Ruth into the Gorge I have heard it said " Nothing to see but snow, ice and rocks, but on a grand scale. I was D.M. for an out fit that landed on both base camp of the Kahiltna and Ruth Glaciers. On a cloudy day in flat light conditions it is really scary. The climbers stick plastic sleds upright in the snow to give some idea of scale. Jay Hudson would say just before touching down "did you remember to put the ski's down" What an adventure.
In your clip, is that One Shot Pass?
Awesome video.

Great teaser video & professional looking. Can't wait for the full version.
Also very interested in your camera mount. I also have the stealth and to date have been unable to get the remote to work under the wing. I will be trying a very long USB cable for audio/power input and hope that some RF will couple into the cable and enable remote control. Perhaps you have found a better way??

Bill

great video

Glad you had a good trip with Dale from Letsflyalaska. We took our RV7a on Dale's guided trip in 2007 and had a great time. You are right, you do fly Alaska! We also saw some wonderful sights and took lots of pictures. I am looking forward to seeing your video.

Dale has a good web site describing his guided tours at Letsflyalaska.com.

Camera Mount details

OK, as promised, here are a couple of pictures of the mount I used for the Drift HD 170 Stealth camera. I might be willing to make some if there is enough demand, but knowing this group I'm sure you would rather do them yourselves. :)
As I mentioned, I used an inspection plate so you can move it from side to side on the airplane allowing you to adapt for lighting and/or scenery, and then just remove it when done filming and reinstall the inspection plate. I used a 1/4x20 bolt, loctited it into the camera, cut off the head, and then used a wing nut to mount/dismount the camera. I did use the supplied velcro between the camera and the mount as that seemed to help with vibration absorption. Suspending the camera from the wing allows you to get the airplane completely out of the video if you so desire, which I did and you can see in the videos. Note that the RV-10 has a longer wing, so the results might be different on the shorter-winged RV's.

The remote on/off supplied with the camera does not work reliably as I think the big aluminum wing gets in the way. I did try using external power by wiring into the nav lights which was a waste of time, as it appears that the battery does not charge when recording, and if you happen to flip the nav light switch while in flight, the camera stops recording. In the end what worked best was to buy 2 of the extended-life batteries and use one in the morning with a 32G card, and then replace both battery and card for the afternoon flight.
We are aggressively working on the videos. Our thoughts are to put them in a 2/4 pack with both blue ray and DVD with a Glacier video and a trip video with selected shots, keeping both videos to about 90 minutes. Be patient. We aren't exactly experts at this, and we find ourselves spending too much time trying to choose, as it is very awesome stuff. :)

Vic

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2670.jpg

Vic,

The clip looks outstanding. Looking forward to the rest. On another note, are you going to LOE in Oklahoma this year. If so maybe we can join up and fly out there together. I think a couple of the KZPH guys are also considering making the trip.

Pat

Vic,

You must have had much better weather than I had this year! I barely made it north at the end of June, and got stuck for two days in Smithers on the return trip in mid-July.

cheers,
greg

Hi, Pat. We would like to go but haven't made a decision yet. I'm actually between jobs right now (at least I hope I am between jobs), so the new job will likely factor into our schedule, too. I will keep you posted.

Vic

Which inspection panel position did you use?

Hi Vic - I had a similar design concept for my Drift camera installation on my 9A. I haven't used it yet, other priorities, however which position did you use? Inboard may get too much of the fuse in the video - however likely the safest from aerodynamic standpoint. Outboard would be best from the video capture perspective, but does hanging this camera in the airflow in front of the aileron effect performance and stall speed? This leads me to consider the middle inspection plate as the safest . . . thoughts?

The inboard position does show too much of the fuselage/prop/nosewheel in the pictures for me. The constant slow-spinning propeller is a distraction to the video. That's why I chose the outboard position. However, by using the inspection plate as a mount, you do have multiple locations from which to choose. I noticed absolutely no impact on any flight characteristics in all flight regimes, including stalls and slow flight. Nor did I notice any impact upon yaw or top end speeds. In cruise on the trip out and back I still saw TAS of 166-170 knots depending upon altitude. I'm sure there must have been some, but it was negligible.
It did take a few renditions of the mount to get the shake out of the camera so as to realize the full HD clarity.

Vic

Thanks for the input . . .

The inboard position does show too much of the fuselage/prop/nosewheel in the pictures for me. The constant slow-spinning propeller is a distraction to the video. That's why I chose the outboard position. However, by using the inspection plate as a mount, you do have multiple locations from which to choose. I noticed absolutely no impact on any flight characteristics in all flight regimes, including stalls and slow flight. Nor did I notice any impact upon yaw or top end speeds. In cruise on the trip out and back I still saw TAS of 166-170 knots depending upon altitude. I'm sure there must have been some, but it was negligible.
It did take a few renditions of the mount to get the shake out of the camera so as to realize the full HD clarity.

Vic

I'll give it a try this fall . . .

no isolation mount? how does the video stay so smoooth!?
was this shot at 1080 or 720?
any tweaks done to the Drift in the setup, pre-recording?

i wish their new "HD" camera had an LED on the remote starter. that would be real handy.
i have the same camera(Drift170 HD) and love it but have issues with vibration:(

This was shot at 1080. As I mentioned, it took me about 3 months and many renditions of the mount to get the shake out. I didn't tweak the camera in any other way. Actually, I do wish it would accept 12 volt external power while recording so I didn't have to worry about battery power. It doesn't quite have enough bettary to do 4+ hour legs, and the remote start/stop doesn't work from the cockpit with the underwing location, not that you could see it anyway.
Wait until you see the rest of the video, especially all of the glacier flying. We've got it all cut down to about two minute videos and are working on the narration and music now.

Vic

Great video Vic.
I'll look forward to the complete version as well.

My wife & I are in the initial planning stage on an Alaska trip next summer.
We've already schedule a month off.
We'll have to check out LetsFlyAlaska.com.

Also, I'm looking at joining Pat & the ZPH group to fly out to LOE.
Hope we can get to meet you.

Vic,
The HD170 will record using an external 12Vdc power connected via the USB cable. It just will not charge the battery at the same time. Page 13 of the user's manual. As you noted earlier, the unit powers up automatically when connected to this power source but does not start recording until you press the record button. It the power source is lost the unit reverts to the battery and will continue recording. I purchased a long USB cable (15ft) which I can connect to a cigarette lighter USB adapter just for this purpose.

Can't wait for the full length version of you trip.

Bill, I did wire it into the nav lights via a USB cable, and I did not find that to be reliable. Sometimes I would land and the unit was not in record mode any longer. I needed it to be reliable for the trip, so I disconnected it. I can't help but wonder if having it tied into the aircraft electrical system it was sensitive to RF or audio frequencies on the power?

Vic

Vic, Since I haven't flown using the USB power I can't say. Hopefully this weekend I manage to pull the cable and try it out. I'll let you know what I find.
I'm also hoping that by bringing the wires (USB & Audio) into the cockpit I'll be able to couple some RF into them and use the remote capability.

Bill

Back