What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AK451 ELT

paul330

Well Known Member
I know - I have heard all about the issues with this unit and am regretting installing it in the first place - but I have it now!

I have moved the aircraft to South Africa and as a result, it needs reprogramming with new data before I can get the correct HEX code to register it. The manual seemed to suggest that by connecting to your laptop, the necessary software would pop up (ie, built into the unit). The local avionics shop says "not so" and that the required software costs $850 :eek: - that's if you could talk to AmeriKing which you can't because the FAA have closed them down........ :eek:

So, any ideas? Anyone got a copy of the necessary software that I could lay my hands on?

I strongly suggest you save a lot of time and money by replacing it with something without a known poor service and performance history. You'll save a lot of headaches in the long run.

I had that issue moving one from the US to the UK. I sent it to Mendelssohn's who re-programmed it for a reasonable fee. It then stopped working a few months later.:eek:

I'm currently struggling to find someone to programme the HexID in a Kannad for a reasonable fee. The agents I met at Oshkosh re-assured me that they could sort it, but so far no response.

Back