What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AirVenture Homebuilt Category Display Signage

I’m planning to enter my RV 14 in the Homebuilt category at Airventure this year and would like to display a sign with specific details of the build. Does anybody have any recommendation on the details or even better a picture of some signs used? I’m looking for how to display the sign; whether I should tape it on the window or on a tripod; what material to use considering the weather etc. Suggestions are appreciated!

I’m planning to enter my RV 14 in the Homebuilt category at Airventure this year and would like to display a sign with specific details of the build. Does anybody have any recommendation on the details or even better a picture of some signs used? I’m looking for how to display the sign; whether I should tape it on the window or on a tripod; what material to use considering the weather etc. Suggestions are appreciated!
Lots of options. You don’t need to have anything extra to get your plane judged. Just ask for it when you register.

Be sure you have your HBP HPC signs ready to show the volunteers when you depart the runway, regardless of which runway you land. "P" if you are just parking, "C" if you are camping. Anywhere you park your airplane can be judged. They will give you a prop card at registration. Put that on your prop as, after judging, they will put a sticker on it (? green dot?) to show you have been judged.

If your information is in the window, that is a pretty small space and may not be large enough for everything you want to tell people. People might not go over to the window to read it. Tripods, unless you are sitting with your airplane, tend to go whatever direction the Wind is blowing. A sandwich board is a better choice. Many pilots will have the information on a flat board lying on the ground in front of the airplane. You can secure that (as well as a sandwich board) with tent stakes. The 'plastic cardboard' seems to be the best material. Good luck with the judging!!

Be sure you have your HBP HPC signs ready to show the volunteers when you depart the runway, regardless of which runway you land. "P" if you are just parking, "C" if you are camping. Anywhere you park your airplane can be judged. They will give you a prop card at registration. Put that on your prop as, after judging, they will put a sticker on it (? green dot?) to show you have been judged.

If your information is in the window, that is a pretty small space and may not be large enough for everything you want to tell people. People might not go over to the window to read it. Tripods, unless you are sitting with your airplane, tend to go whatever direction the Wind is blowing. A sandwich board is a better choice. Many pilots will have the information on a flat board lying on the ground in front of the airplane. You can secure that (as well as a sandwich board) with tent stakes. The 'plastic cardboard' seems to be the best material. Good luck with the judging!!
Thank you very much! Thats all good info!!

Here’s a link to the upcoming events sub forum:
Thread 'The OSH’24 RV Events ….summarized in one spot.'
https://vansairforce.net/threads/the-osh’24-rv-events-…-summarized-in-one-spot.227618/

The first link takes you to the OSH NOTAM. Once at that link look for the section called ground operations - has lots of signs that you can easily print. Should get you all squared away.

Here is an article of a guy who created a presentation book for the judges- it is for vintage, but a lot of it rolls over:

v/r,dr

Last edited:
I suggest you get a copy of the judging form.
There are additional points to be had if you meet requirements for supporting documentation, etc.

Info boards are great but you'll score more points if you are present when its being judged so that you can answer questions and open things up for further inspection. Remember, the judges can only give average scores for something unseen. If you want above average scores for your above average work they need to be able to see it. Remove panels, cowlings, open canopies and baggage compartment doors. If you're camping next to your bird then make sure that your campsite is neat. They look at EVERYTHING. Not sure If I got actual points for it but it was a positive mention from one of the judges that I use the correct knots for tying down the Cub.

After I got the airplane painted, it got judged. You have to get 3 separate judgings initialed on the prop card. I only had two by the time we had to leave on Thursday. I was only at the airplane when one of the judging panels came by. They wanted to check off things like the airworthiness being visible, so don't put a cabin cover on! A couple of years later, I was camping next to an RV-8 that won a Bronze award. The builder was basically at the airplane all day and talked up the judges, had a large notebook of photos, and was able to take off/on the cowling during the judging. I decided at that point, I wasn't ever going to put that sort of time into trying to get an award.

Here's the sign I had made for my plane when I had it judged in 2021. I used a cheap Tripod from a thrift store to hold it. The tripod was secured to the ground, the sign secured to the tripod. Worked great. The table was used for my "build book."
i-68k8qFG-X4.jpg

Whatever kind of sign you use, please take care to secure it down. There will be a lot of aircraft in and out with a lot of prop blast going every which way. It would be a shame to have the sign cause damage to your aircraft. Or your neighbor’s aircraft.

I have a freind whose certified aircraft was judged to be a grand champion. He showed me the notebook he had laid out on a chair in front of his plane. The notebooks photos documented the complete restoration. I point this out as these pictures highlight details that aren’t readily apparent on the ramp.

This guy was really OCD about details. For example when the engine was off, all of the engine cooling sheetmetal was polished to a mirror finish, and at least one of the judges was very impressed with the detail that all the cross‘s of the phillip head screws were in prefect alignment along the wing.

Just a few thoughts to help you prep for judging. Good luck!

I suggest you get a copy of the judging form.
There are additional points to be had if you meet requirements for supporting documentation, etc.
When you go to register @ HB they will ASK you if you want to be judged and will provide necessary paperwork etc. Welcome to The biggest Homebuilt Community on Planet Earth!!!

Back