What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airspace/Notam question

azrv6

Well Known Member
Have you ever seen this before? Between NM and CA.

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 4.27.32 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 4.28.10 PM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-09 at 4.28.35 PM.png

Nope, never. But here's my off-the-wall hunch... A friend of mine flies a glider and has a special agreement with the FAA to be able to fly in Class A airspace. The "agreement" is an actual document filed somewhere that most controllers would know nothing about. But when he wants to use it, he calls them up and "activates" it. They go find the file number and sure enough they are required to authorize his request to enter Class A. This kind of looks like that.

It's odd that there's no details. What's the point of providing "notice to all the air missions" if you're not describing anything at all? Unless... Maybe "reservation" means something specific to controllers, perhaps it means they won't allow any *other" IFR traffic within that boundary.

Nope, never. But here's my off-the-wall hunch... A friend of mine flies a glider and has a special agreement with the FAA to be able to fly in Class A airspace. The "agreement" is an actual document filed somewhere that most controllers would know nothing about. But when he wants to use it, he calls them up and "activates" it. They go find the file number and sure enough they are required to authorize his request to enter Class A. This kind of looks like that.

Those are Letters of Agreement (LOA) with an ARTCC facility. Usually they depict an area(s) where wave activity would be expected so gliders can climb to higher altitudes using wave lift. They are usually not narrow straight lines as depicted above. The LOA allows non-instrumented rated glider pilots to legally fly in Class A airspace without an IFR flight plan.

As an example, here is the LOA between the Seattle Glider Council and the Seattle ARTCC that covers several areas here in the PNW, generally east of the Cascade Mountains and one over Mt. Rainier:

Last edited:
Back