What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airport near Raleigh?

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Hey Gang,

I'm looking for an airport near Raleigh that will make a suitable stop for fuel and food, preferably on the field. Anyone know of a place with cheap fuel and good food? This is for our return leg from Old Rhinebeck. Thanks a million!

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

Stop at the Pik-N-Pig!

Definitely stop at Gilliam McConnell airport. It is listed as a private airport but is really open to all without prior permission. The CTAF frequency is 122.9. The Pik-N-Pig restaurant is right next to the runway and has the best BBQ in the country. Roland Gilliam owns the place and he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet and insists on a low pass upon departure! Tell him Smokey sent you.

You may find cheaper fuel in the area but you won't find better food. Hop over to Bennettsville (KBBT) or Lumberton (KLBT) for cheap fuel after you eat at the Pig.

Like Smokey said..

Gilliam McConnell is a great pit-stop for lunch, and you cannot find a better airport resturant in the area...and they just put in a mockup P40 "junkyard dog" a local built as part of their dedication to local Vets. A bunch of us fly over there a couple times a month for lunch. If you come on a nice weekend day,expect a few planes,and almost always a few RV's...NEVER depart without making a photo pass!

Definitely stop at Gilliam McConnell airport. It is listed as a private airport but is really open to all without prior permission. The CTAF frequency is 122.9. The Pik-N-Pig restaurant is right next to the runway and has the best BBQ in the country. Roland Gilliam owns the place and he is one of the nicest people you will ever meet and insists on a low pass upon departure! Tell him Smokey sent you.

Ron can I get the referral too? :)

Thank you Ron and Bill. That is just what I'm looking for. I just wish the fuel was cheaper. It's going to be inconvenient to stop to eat and make another stop for fuel; we're a gaggle of eight airplanes! Thanks.

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

Thank you Ron and Bill. That is just what I'm looking for. I just wish the fuel was cheaper. It's going to be inconvenient to stop to eat and make another stop for fuel; we're a gaggle of eight airplanes! Thanks.

Jerry
RV-8 N84JE

Back