What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airport Camping options in Oregon

3s7 manzanita airport. It’s a state airstrip just south of Astoria that has camping with fire pits and running water. The park ranger sells firewood at the main office and delivered to your campsite. Best to bring your own food source cause town is a bit of a walk.

We live 1.1 miles from Nehalem Bay State. Easy walk to town from the Airport on a very nice bike path. Manzanita, which is a small “village” has some fun shopping and a few food options. Short flight to Tillamook, where I hangar, for Air Museum, fuel, BBQ (Wed- Sunday). Astoria, one of the oldest towns in the Country, has loaners or rental cars and sometimes Uber. It’s also a very short scenic flight. There are no transportation options in Tillamook and the airport is three miles to town, and not much to see there usually.
If you want to tour around, get the bus schedule, walk into Manzanita, and catch the bus to Cannon Beach for dining and shopping, or to Garibaldi and book a charter for crab and reef fish, or jump on the Train for a scenic ride up the Coast.
Lots to do, or do nothing, camp and hike the beach and beach trails.

Watch the weather, it’s the Oregon Coast, and be comfortable with gusty cross winds. Be on the watch for Elk and Deer on the Airport. An RV4 was lost there a few years back due to an Elk accident. Also, we have had a few active Bears, so store your food properly when not in camp.

I was going to say Nehalem Bay State but everyone beat me to it, haha! If you go there be sure to come up and visit Seaside (56S) - no camping but a nice close by day trip, with bikes at the airport to get you into town.

Vernonia (05S) is nice & campers welcome. Golf course nearby.

Red's Horse ranch USFS (68D) - I haven't been there in a while so I don't know the condition. But it's an amazing spot. Definitely backcountry.

Alvord Desert - not an airport but a big dry lake bed you can land / camp on, in the shadow of the Steens mountains. To locate it, look for Wildhorse Ranch (OG53) on a sectional - the dry lakebed is just a few miles east of that.

There are other backcountry strips in central / E Oregon such as Memaloose (25U) and Lord Flat (OR9), and Dug Bar that look cool but I can't say if they're RV-appropriate, maybe someone else knows.

Sorry Randall didn’t mean to leave Seaside off the list!
I flew over Alford Desert about 6 weeks ago and was shocked how much water was in the lake. Make sure you know the conditions before trying to land. I’ve seen vehicles buried to the frame while attempting to drive on seemingly dry ground there.

Pine Hollow Airport (32OR) Campground, restaurant, lake, boat rentals all walking distance. tie down areas or just park on my property.

Back