What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AirPlane factory

randyintejas

Well Known Member
I have been gathering information off this site and individual build logs for about 4 months and the wealth of knowledge I have received from this resource has been invaluable. When trying to get started on a project like this I have found that those who took the time to list the tools and shop information to be a huge help! So I’m doing the same. I added on to my house about 8 years ago and build a separate garage so I would have some place to store building materials and so it could also be used a real garage latter. Thankfully I built a 2 car 28 X 35ft garage and had planned at some point to build a shop in the rear section. Little did I know that it would become an airplane factory! Because it was for storage I did not finish it out so… the work began. I first ran a 20amp 110 (for compressor) and a 30amp 220 (Heat/Air). I had already wired for 10amp 110 for light and a separate 15amp for plugs. Next I had to seal up the garage doors inside and out. I put sheet foam inside the panels and then covered the doors in sanded plywood (doors face west in Texas SUN!). I had a lot of ½ inch green sheet rock left over from the house so it got used on the walls (bulkheads). After the walls were finished I needed storage for all the garage junk and plane parts so I decked the ceiling in ¾ OBS. I installed several 15amp plugs for tools and put in 10 4th T8 florescent lights.
Tools purchased:
Sears: Craftsman 12 inch Drill Press, 10 inch Band Saw, Belt Sander, Torque wrench, Screwdrivers, Box Wrenches, Rulers, Grinder Stand, 3 Drawer Tool Box addition, Socket Wrenches and Sockets ( a lot of my tools were really old and in bad shape)
Home Depot: Grinder, Oiled Compressor 30 Gallon 110 20amp, shop Vac, Tape Measure and all building supplies
Harbor Fright: Air Die Grinder, Air Angle Drill, Tap and Die Set, Tons of Clamps, Vice, Air Hose, Calipers and a cheap bench Metal Break.
Isham Tool Kit. I cannot say enough about this kit! Very impressive! Just buy it and don’t think about it anymore.
I spent about 3 months gathering tools and finishing out the new Airplane Factory! I have seen other post that mentions you will need to spend around $6,500 on tools and I have found that to be a very true statement. I have tried to gather everything I need upfront (I know I will need more) and have found that to be an accurate cost guide.
Compressor plumbing: Because my Garage is 35ft long I decided to run copper pipe from the compressor at the back and up to the hose reel at the front. I also put in a connection at the tools bench and another half way down the bay and under the reel (close to the floor) I put in a ball valve so I can drain/bleed off the line/reel. I used an 8ft rubber hose (with quick connect) to connect my compressor to the manifold/plumbing system. I also installed a Miltion air separator and a Kobalt regulator. Most of my air fittings I purchased at Lowes.
I will try to include some pic’s for those who are interested and I would like to give my sincere THANKS to all who have contributed to this fourm.
r9ip0p.jpg
[/IMG]
dvdld.jpg
[/IMG]
212g96g.jpg
[/IMG]
rm06ch.jpg
[/IMG]
2a634uc.jpg
[/IMG]
1rzoe0.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
What kind of fridge is that? Can you get it really cold? Maybe you could attach a lanyard with a bottle opener to the handle. That'd be sweet. Looks like you can fit several cases in there.:)

Other than that looks good.

Looks really nice - waaaayyyy to clean though - you need some airplane parts and metal shavings in there!

The answer to you Fridge Questions

What kind of fridge is that? Can you get it really cold? Maybe you could attach a lanyard with a bottle opener to the handle. That'd be sweet. Looks like you can fit several cases in there.:)

Other than that looks good.

This is a very important topic so I do hope the pic's answer your questions :D

n4xzk0.jpg
[/IMG]
2yx0p4h.jpg
[/IMG]
beioub.jpg
[/IMG]

Oh yeah, Now you're talking! You're off to a GREAT start! Everyone knows that you spend 2 hours looking at each 1 hour worth of work. Nothing like a fresh brew to help ponder your efforts.

Missing thing

Great shop you built Randy. The only essential thing I do not see is a computer. How are you going to communicate with us during the build? :)

:
Great shop you built Randy. The only essential thing I do not see is a computer. How are you going to communicate with us during the build? :)

Well thats an easy one! I make my living with computers and my office is also at my house. I have 2 bundled T-1's on a Cisco Wireless network and several laptops so I can have a computer anywhere.:)

:

Well thats an easy one! I make my living with computers and my office is also at my house. I have 2 bundled T-1's on a Cisco Wireless network and several laptops so I can have a computer anywhere.:)

:D I kind of expected this. Saw your profile before posting. Now get some dust and shavings all over the place...

Ahhhh... Lone Star - the national beer of Texas. My mouth is watering already! We can't get any here in Florida (I am a very reluctant Floridian - this is where I washed up on the beach when I retired from the navy). Just as soon as this true Son of the Republic Of Texas can get back, I'm never leaving!

Ahhhh... Lone Star - the national beer of Texas. My mouth is watering already! We can't get any here in Florida (I am a very reluctant Floridian - this is where I washed up on the beach when I retired from the navy). Just as soon as this true Son of the Republic Of Texas can get back, I'm never leaving!

Understand Sam, I was on the JFK in the mid 80's. Did my part and saw the world and got the heck back to Texas! MM 2nd Class. Watching those F-14 land while standing on the fantail is what sparked my interest in flying. ;)

Nice job Randy! I learned a long time ago, you can't have too much light or too much workbench space. You should have plenty of room in there. I have been working on my RV-8 in the garage at home (not as big or efficient as yours) and have been very productive while it was here at the house. I moved my airplane to the hangar last weekend, and am beginning to realize it is going to slow me down somewhat because of all the visitors I'm getting! I hope you enjoy your project as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Ah man...now I am jealous, I haven't had Lone Star since my Air Force days in Texas!!! For some reason Florida doesn't think Lone Star is a burning necessity. Good looking shop, You need to get started and dirty it up a little ;)

Randy,
Copper is not the best choice for compressed air, but it's better than PVC. PVC will shatter like glass. OSHA recommends black pipe, but you'll have to speak to your "shop steward" about that. ;)
Make sure you have a place to catch any pipe water at the reel end, such as a Tee. My overhead run is also about 35' and I've discovered that those little air molecules can only move so fast through small pipe. I solved it by Teeing in a small air tank at the far end, near the reel. The tank also increases total system volume, so the compressor might run a little less frequently.
Have fun!
John

so, how is that Compressor? why oil-less? what kind is it? Husky?

i NEED something more than my little one... got through the tail and now i'm working on the wings but it's getting tired already:(

Compressor

so, how is that Compressor? why oil-less? what kind is it? Husky?

i NEED something more than my little one... got through the tail and now i'm working on the wings but it's getting tired already:(

I did a lot of research on this topic and bought this compressor from HD (Husky) based on price and performance. I already have 2 breaker panels in my house and both are full. It was all I could do to finish the electrical for the garage and I had to choose between 220 power for the Air conditioner or a Compressor. I live in Texas so the AC won hands down. Oiled is the only type of compressor you want to buy no matter what size it is. The larger the tank volume the less it will cycle and an oiled compressor makes a fraction of the noise.
Sorry but it seems it made a dumb error in my original post. The compressor is oiled NOT oil-less. Must have drank too much Starr before typing!
Original post will be edited
I have been using it for a couple of months on non-AC projects and have been pretty impressed so far

Last edited:
Randy,
Copper is not the best choice for compressed air, but it's better than PVC. PVC will shatter like glass. OSHA recommends black pipe, but you'll have to speak to your "shop steward" about that. ;)
Make sure you have a place to catch any pipe water at the reel end, such as a Tee. My overhead run is also about 35' and I've discovered that those little air molecules can only move so fast through small pipe. I solved it by Teeing in a small air tank at the far end, near the reel. The tank also increases total system volume, so the compressor might run a little less frequently.
Have fun!
John

I do agree with the PVC. I have seen it blow and it?s not pretty. I used the copper because I had a lot left over from building my house and an engineer friend of my told me that there is no problem with the copper up to 150psi. I also installed a ball valve on the bottom of the compressor and underneath the hose reel at the end of the run so I can drain the system. I really like the idea of adding another tank and have been debating where in- line to put it so your idea about locating it closer to the reel is very helpful. Thanks

Randy,

Great looking shop! I also think you are smart NOT to paint your floor. I have a shop in my garage and it has a vinyl tile floor. Good looking, but metal shavings have taken their toll. I painted my hangar floor and I can definitely tell you I don't cut or file metal there. Painted floors are easy to keep clean, but they also scratch easy. There will be times when you'll be standing in a lot of shavings from all the drilling and filing. Good luck with your build!

Jim

Randy,

Great looking shop! I also think you are smart NOT to paint your floor. I have a shop in my garage and it has a vinyl tile floor. Good looking, but metal shavings have taken their toll. I painted my hangar floor and I can definitely tell you I don't cut or file metal there. Painted floors are easy to keep clean, but they also scratch easy. There will be times when you'll be standing in a lot of shavings from all the drilling and filing. Good luck with your build!

Jim

JAT,
This is another one of those issues at I had to drink many Starr?s over and in the end it was my wife that said ?just paint it when you are done with the plane?. Now I will tell ya.. she had a couple of Starr?s at that point also. I really did not want to spend that much cash on something I know I would just mess up. Others seem to be pleased with the painted floor and I see their point but I have also watched a friend drop a jack stand on his painted floor and the resulting hole in the paint.

Greg, dont let that old "size matters" thing get to you-----

I see your mini fridge and raise you another project.

When stationed in Alaska I had a buddy who, on his "I love me wall" among the usual certificates, awards, etc... he had an unusual plaque with a beer tap on it. At first it was easy to think "wow what a cool going away plaque for a beer loving guy". But in reality it was a functioning tap with the line running through the wall into the laundry room where the keg was kept in a full sized fridge.

Someday... when I have an airplane shop... that's what I want!

Excellent choice in compressors. Not knowing any better, I bought the oil-less type from Sears. THAT IS ONE LOUD DUDE! So I put a 3/4 inch plywood chamber around that is lined with foam (mattress foam that is). What a difference. I also put a fan in to keep things cool. I also made a removeable top so I could get to the controls. The next compressor will be oiled!

http://www.smittysrv.com/more_stuff.asp?ID=7

That was mean.

Paul,

That was mean especially from someone living in Colorado. My mini fridge will be going to a college dorm this fall. I hope it comes back educated. I quess maybe one of you Texans will have to offer me a Star at Osh so I can see what the fuss is about.

O.K., 'taint necessarly so.

I spent about $1700 on a tool kit, after I had deleted a bunch of items from a prepackaged combo from Avery.

I already had a pretty good set of tools for working on cars, and a really good air comp, so I had a buddy help me to customize a tool package.

I later picked up a DRDT2 from VAF classifieds, and a pnuematic squeezer also. $550 or so IIRC between the two items.

Other than that, a few really small tool purchases when wiring the panel.

I am lucky to be able to borrow a lot of specialized stuff, which helps keep the cost down.

$6500 sounds kinda high, even for someone starting with absolutely nada in the tool arena.

ZEN and art of aircraft building. Start with the basic tools, like the tool kit, then buy the extra special tools as you go along. THE TRICK... put the tools in your tool cabinet... stand back and admire all your cool tools... burn the receipts... forget about the money you spent. Be one with the RV...

I think I honestly spent around $4k on tools when I started building - but that included upgrading my air compressor, buying a bench grinder (because my old one was dying), a bandsaw, a decent drill press, a DRDT-2, a pneumatic squeezer, couple of air drills, a pair of 2x and one 3x rivet guns, and basically all the small stuff (clecoes, dimple dies, countersinks, etc etc ad nauseum) that I would need for the entire build. Everything I bought was new and top-shelf, but didn't really need to be. You could easily get away with $2500 to start with and add on as you need to later in the build. I'm just a tool-whore.

But one thing you want to make sure of - AS SOON AS you move from the "Gotta have it" list to the "Gee, I really want that" list, put your tungsten bucking bar on the top of priority list. Of all the tools I've got, that's my favorite.

Last edited:
Anybody who has lurked on this site for any length of time should have picked up on the tungsten bucking bar. Yes it is kind of pricey but it is the first bar I grab for any riveting task. I bought a pneumatic threaded angle drill that I find works much better in tight spots then the angle adapters. It is kind of a pain to have to buy the individual bits.

Back