What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airleron Trim Spring

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
I am now installing the Vans Electric airleron trim. According to the print, the "at rest" length of the springs is 6". I pulled on the spring to that length and it seems to be quite a force, easily over 10 lbs.. maybe 20.

Not to be too anal, but I counted the spring coils on the print (30) and the coils on the actual spring (26).

It just seems like too heavy a spring load and they are only held to the airleron tube by two pop rivets.

Anybody have this experience?

Jack in Michigan

I believe as I recall, you need to make sure that the spring is always expanded throughout the entire range of the aileron actuation. I just followed the plans

It just seems like too heavy a spring load and they are only held to the airleron tube by two pop rivets.

Anybody have this experience?

Yes. It was really, really tight. And once I got the springs in place, I never removed them. When I had to take the servo out for a wiring issue, I disconnected the arm from the servo so the springs wouldn't have to be taken off. I've got some pics of my install here: http://airplane.athomeinthewilburness.com/2013/04/25/wing-wiring-plumbing/

The thing that bothers me is not the pop rivets but the fine steel spring end wearing against the aluminium bracket - time will tell.

The tightness doesn't in any way bind up the aileron. Since both sides are in tension they more or less balance out as the ailerons are moved but the difference in tension is enough to adjust the float position.

Heavier gauge brackets

I am seriously thinking about making those little spring brackets in a heavier gauge aluminum.

I am also going to write Van's technical people and see if they agree

Jack in Michigan

Check the shear strength of those two rivets.

The only extra thing I did was install teflon tape where springs contact control tube. I did not like the sound when moving controls. Noise is wear.

Back