What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airgizmo Panel Dock

KALEWIS

Well Known Member
I have a panel dock on the way for an ifly 720. Plan on removing the map box and enlarging the existing hole left over from the map box. Anyone done this yet or would starting with a fresh panel piece be the way to go?

One suggestion for you...

Don't wire the Garmin harness directly into your -12. Use a pair of DB9 connectors. That way, should the harness ever fail or Garmin come out with a different GPS that you want to install, making the change will be very easy to do.

Don't wire the Garmin harness directly into your -12. Use a pair of DB9 connectors. That way, should the harness ever fail or Garmin come out with a different GPS that you want to install, making the change will be very easy to do.

Huh?:confused:

j8p750.jpg

250lcaw.jpg

Wired in direct with a switch.

Thought about moving the ELT and intercom, but not necessary The factory hardwire cord has an odd ground wire but it works. Went straight to the battery with a 1.5 inline fuse as recommended by the manufacturer. Used an LED lit switch. Added the external GPS antenna too. Going to try it next to the dynon under the cowl. Will report how that works. Did need to fabricate the gizmo mount with L channel behind the panel. Pretty easy.

Last edited:
j8p750.jpg

250lcaw.jpg

Wired in direct with a switch.

Thought about moving the ELT and intercom, but not necessary The factory hardwire cord has an odd ground wire but it works. Went straight to the battery with a 1.5 inline fuse as recommended by the manufacturer. Used an LED lit switch. Added the external GPS antenna too. Going to try it next to the dynon under the cowl. Will report how that works. Did need to fabricate the gizmo mount with L channel behind the panel. Pretty easy.

Has the external antenna worked out ok under the cowling? Can you see it ok on that angle? I just slaved mine to the a/p and it's working well.

Dave,

The GPS works fine under the cowling. Locks on quick and have yet to lose any signal thus far. Visibility is a 7.5-8 on a 1-10 scale. If it were angled just a bit it would be better, but no big issue. The screen is bright enough to read the way it is.

Need to get KLBE sometime soon ! That's about halfway for us, and you guys too. Or close to halfway.

Will this interface with the Dynon ADS-B? Does it come with GPS antenna or what did you use?

It comes with a internal antenna, but the external ant. is available. I use the internal, but last w/e I did lose signal a fair bit (Solar Flare Disruption?). I don't have S/V, but I don't think they are compatible. Adventure pilot sells ADSB in/out that works very well with the 720. Considering that it can display weather, traffic and auto pilot/hsi connectivity, it is a good addition to the D180 systems. The 720 is far better than the 496 (imo) and Adventure Pilot is hands down, one of the best companies I have dealt with for customer support. They are on par with Dynon!

Skyview ADS-B connection.

I had a response within an hour from Adventure Pilot re using the Skyview ADS-B for input to the 720.

This was the response:
"Typically ADS-B uses the standard GDL-90 protocol, so it is very likely that it will work. The Dynon ADS-B would need a Serial Out, which is typically standard to use Pin 2 for the Data and Pin 5 for the Ground on a DB-9 Serial Plug. You would then need the USB-Serial connector to pull the ADS-B from those pins into the iFly 720 USB port."

The iFly 720 puts a lot of capability on the copilot side but i wonder if it is bright enough - nits rating is much lower than the Skyview 7" display. Also how legible it is when panel mounted. A good bright sunlight review would be good with a comparison of Skyview.

Considering my wife is an "equal opportunity" pilot and I only am allowed in the pilots seat half the time, a good solution for the copilot side is desperately needed.

I have not looked at the schematics so maybe a EE could comment on the ADS-B connection feasibility.

IFly 720 Airgizmo

I built my RV-12 as a EAB. Here is a picture
of my panel with a Dynon D100, IFly 720 and
a Daynon D10 EMS.

qmx7x3.jpg
[/IMG]

Back