What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airflow Performance fuel pump mounting

blaplante

Well Known Member
I'm going fuel injection and will be using an airflow performance fuel pump. So... the price isn't too bad... but some how once you add in all the mounting/installation kit the price from Van's gets north of $600. What's all this then? Is the kit worth it or is this just stuff I can fab myself? Anyone have any tips/pointers/advice?

Of course you can fab it all yourself. But if you don't want to do that, getting the parts really helps. Do yourself a favor either way and ask for the plans sheet for the RV-7/7A showing the cockpit fuel system. It's different from the -6/6A, including the fuel selector mount, and so you may want to make extensive changes in front of the spar. There's been a thread or two on here about this, so a forum search is also in order.

Extra fuel tubing

I think is uses about 3 feet around the pump and filter. I'm certain it took me about 12 to get it right.;)

I'm going fuel injection and will be using an airflow performance fuel pump. ... What's all this then? Is the kit worth it or is this just stuff I can fab myself? Anyone have any tips/pointers/advice?

Can't speak for the effectiveness of the parts yet, not flying, but I know that building an RV-6A 'now' has changed, more of us are adapting the RV-7x FWF, and cockpit layouts. This was a bit more complex for me, because the 'plans' are somewhere between the -7 and -6, with some ingenuity required. As a result, I appreciated the 'kit' approach to the filter, pump, and tubing components. After all, I'm eventually expecting to achieve 'airplane' status and a little help is good.

If you change to the -7 fuel selector, tunnel cover, and tubing mods, you'll have enough to challenge you, without fabbing all the tuning in the AFP installation.

Yes, I am doing the -7 tunnel cover, -7 battery box, and -7 style fuel selector box in my -6.

Can't speak for the effectiveness of the parts yet, not flying, but I know that building an RV-6A 'now' has changed, more of us are adapting the RV-7x FWF, and cockpit layouts. This was a bit more complex for me, because the 'plans' are somewhere between the -7 and -6, with some ingenuity required. As a result, I appreciated the 'kit' approach to the filter, pump, and tubing components. After all, I'm eventually expecting to achieve 'airplane' status and a little help is good.

If you change to the -7 fuel selector, tunnel cover, and tubing mods, you'll have enough to challenge you, without fabbing all the tuning in the AFP installation.

Plan for mx

Just something to keep in mind. I reworked the entire fuel system a couple of years ago to make it more maintenance friendly. I can now easily remove the whole fuel pump/filter/valve assembly from the plane if necessary. I recommend designing that in, even if it means a couple more fittings and connections (and their corresponding potential for leaks and failures).

Good luck!

It all depends ?

I'm going fuel injection and will be using an airflow performance fuel pump. So... the price isn't too bad... but some how once you add in all the mounting/installation kit the price from Van's gets north of $600. What's all this then? Is the kit worth it or is this just stuff I can fab myself? Anyone have any tips/pointers/advice?

I put the pump and filter on the .o63 plate with the rubber strips and supplied worm drive hose clamps. That was not too difficult, but I bought the whole deal plate and all.

To make your own plate you will need at least a square foot of .o63 of 2024-t3 Aluminum and then cut, and then form fit, and de-burr.

You will need a brake capable or making the correct radius.

I bought the kit to make faster progress. (14+ years):eek:

Best wishes!

Last edited:
Back