What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Specialty and TS Flightlines Joint Release Announcement

Aircraft Specialty

Well Known Member
Tom of www.tsflightlines.com and Steve of www.aircraftspecialty.com are extremely excited to announce a joint collaboration project we have been working on for several months.

Today we are announcing that we have developed a complete RV-12 hose retrofit kit.

Please click here for the press release.

There is more information located on our websites at www.tsflightlines.com and www.aircraftspecialty.com

Please feel free to contact Tom or I with any questions that you may have. We are very excited about this new kit and the ability to offer Rotax owners a better alternative for fuel hose replacements.

Last edited:
My experience...

For anyone that's interested, I recently installed a set of these hoses:

http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com/2013/11/fueling-around-part-deux.html

It was a straightforward installation, although I did end up with a leaking carburetor after having removed it as part of the installation. Normally I don't think the carbs would need to be removed at all, but when I tightened up the outside bolt on the left carb after installing the drip tray, I must have tightened it a bit too much - I had to pull the carb off to get at the little nut that holds the Adel clamp that held the old fuel line. The problem ending up having a simple fix: the float needle had become stuck, most likely as a result of my having set the carb on its side.

Replacing the fitting from the left carb was also difficult - I couldn't get a wrench or socket on the new fitting. Steve suggested a technique using an AN cap to tighten in the fitting, then removing the cap which would leave the new fitting in place. I was dubious, but it worked like a champ! I think a cap is actually going to be included in the new kits.

The only other small problem I had was removing the main fuel line where it enters the fuel pump. If you remember, this hose comes pre-installed on the engine and I didn't have a narrow enough 14mm wrench to get a grip on the nut that holds it in. A little quality time with a cheap HF wrench and a bench grinder resolved that issue.

I worked closely with both Steve and Tom during the installation - both were wide open to suggestions and in separate cases, both jumped in to help me resolve any little problems that came up.

All of that said, I am really happy that I won't have to do it again five, ten, etc. years from now. Replacing Rotax hoses with Rotax hoses would have been a lot harder because they're so much fatter - sliding these thinner tubes back through and around the engine mount was simple. The AN fittings are also much easier to work with.

Last edited:
Yes we are. The current oil tank to cooler hoses (at least the later ones) are teflon, so we didnt pursue that. The coolant hoses will be next, along with a brake hose package. We already have gear leg hoses out.

Tom

Yes we are. The current oil tank to cooler hoses (at least the later ones) are teflon, so we didnt pursue that. The coolant hoses will be next, along with a brake hose package. We already have gear leg hoses out.

Tom

What's your time line on the brake hose pkg? I'm about ready....end of Feb-ish...

What's your time line on the brake hose pkg? I'm about ready....end of Feb-ish...

The brake hose packages are already flying on several aircraft. We are contemplating a switch to the black coated brake hoses for the RV-12 brake packages instead of the bare stainless. This would be for abrasion protection. Of course, they would be available either way if you preferred uncoated. The uncoated hose is SLIGHTLY lighter, but almost no difference. The package will be available for $99.95 and could ship next week. We are just waiting on installation pictures from someone we are working with so we can create another install manual. However, brake hoses are fairly simple and don't really require an install manual, so we can ship the hoses at any time.

Please feel free to contact Tom or I with any more questions.

Steve

Last edited:
Hoses

Just a plug. I built an RV12 that now has 500 hours on it. I met Steve while working with hoses and battery cables on another project. Everything about the experience was excellent...quality, price, timeliness, customer service, you name it. I will not hesitate to look here for my replacements. He even has a website that shows videos of exactly how he makes them if you're that interested.

I don't know Tom but if Steve is working with him then he's okay with me.

p.s. for those of us that moved our oil pressure sensor to the firewall, Steve says, "no problem". Same for those that installed oil thermostats. Teflon hoses and stainless fittings are very nice.

Looking forward to getting the fuel line kit someday. I don't understand about the brake lines. It is plastic tubing from the pedal to the top of the gear leg fitting, then aluminum tubing to the caliper. What wears out, deteriorates, or needs replacement?

The brake hose packages are already flying on several aircraft. We are contemplating a switch to the black coated brake hoses for the RV-12 brake packages instead of the bare stainless. This would be for abrasion protection. Of course, they would be available either way if you preferred uncoated. The uncoated hose is SLIGHTLY lighter, but almost no difference. The package will be available for $99.95 and could ship next week. We are just waiting on installation pictures from someone we are working with so we can create another install manual. However, brake hoses are fairly simple and don't really require an install manual, so we can ship the hoses at any time.

Please feel free to contact Tom or I with any more questions.

Steve

Will the new brake lines fit in the RV8 main gear leg fairings that some are getting to go with their RV bits fairings and retro-fitting to the RV 12?

Looking forward to getting the fuel line kit someday. I don't understand about the brake lines. It is plastic tubing from the pedal to the top of the gear leg fitting, then aluminum tubing to the caliper. What wears out, deteriorates, or needs replacement?

The aluminum tubing to the caliper vibrates and flexes and can work harden over time. Some RV's have experienced cracking of these lines over time.

The Teflon lines don't have this issue at all.

As far as the plastic hoses in the cabin go..it is a personal choice. Again, the stainless brake lines are a lot stronger for a very small increase in weight.

It is a personal decision for which direction people want to go. We just aim to give everyone high quality options.

And when you are ready for your fuel system, we will be happy to help you out!!!

John, yes they do. I have several of these flying. I make the same hoses for Jay Pratt on the 8's he finishes.
Tom

Will the new brake lines fit in the RV8 main gear leg fairings that some are getting to go with their RV bits fairings and retro-fitting to the RV 12?

John....

The OD of the hose is just slightly over .25" with the protective sleeve covering. The fitting nuts at the end of the hoses are the same as the fittings used with rigid tubing. Should be no problem at all.

And, for those who really want a smaller setup, we have done some -3 setups already. However, for the RV-12 we are currently staying with a -4 hose setup to avoid any changes required in fittings. This will be a bolt on replacement.

Please feel free to keep the questions coming!!!

Steve

Regarding the work hardening of the lines, I have had to re-flare the aluminum line right at the caliper fitting. It does move there slightly, but constantly. I also don't care for the loop at each wheel. The flexible line will eliminate both problems. I don't see any problems with the plastic lines in the cockpit. The caliper should be easier to remove for puck replacement also. JMO

Others--

For the other RV models, there are many possibilities of kit packages. But, because they are alot more customizable, it is sometimes difficult to make a fit all kit. This thought includes engine packages. Many of you have the same engine, but you have different accessories, in different locations. This means that different hose lengths and configurations are required.
The RV12 was different. It had 1 'factory available' engine (no offense to the ULS and the Viking) so designing a package for the 912 Rotax simplified the project. ( doing some Viking things now).
In the past, I have designed hose packages for the cabins of the RV7/9's, RV8, and the RV10. Many of these are flying, some are in the building stage. If we all had the same engines, accessories in the same locations, then it would be easy. Then its not an extension of its owner/builder, but of a set of rigid plans.
To me, if a customer orders multiple hoses for their plane, and made to their dimensions, its a KIT for them. Yes, some of those same hoses may be the same for others, but with different servos, flow transducer locations, oil cooler locations, the "kits" are custom.
Maybe if there is a situation similar to the RV12 (S-LSA), where someone was production building 'plans models' with 1 engine, and the same accessories in the same location, a complete drop in KIT would be possible.
BUT---actually doesnt that defeat the purpose of build YOUR own plane??

Just remember, any hose package for your plane is a kit!
Tom

John,

I am starting a new thread regarding this so we can leave this thread about the fuel hose package for the RV-12. But, I wanted to let you know that there will actually be a change that needs to be made to the standard RV-12 gear leg hoses that we currently produce. I think we may have an issue at the bottom of the gear leg with fitting inside the fairings/pants. So, we are going to work on developing a more tightly conforming option that doesn't interfere at the bottom.

I will be looking for a builder who has the gear legs on and is getting ready to fit wheel pants to their aircraft. This new kit will be slightly more expensive than the standard hoses, because we will have to use angled fittings at the caliper.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving,
Steve

Back