What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Painting

Paint

I am planing to paint the airplane myself. Looking for recommendations on equipment, primer and type of paint

My painter used Sherwin-Williams Acry-Glo. Single stage catalized paint. Goes on easy, levels out to a beautiful gloss and is tough as nails. Doesn't peel off after a few years like base coat/clear coat and look like a bad sunburn/blister peeling off!:rolleyes:

Stewart Systems

I have painted most of my plane myself, in stages.

I used the Stewart System products and have been very happy with them. They are very nice people to work with and are always ready to answer questions.

Regards,

Michael Wynn
RV8 Finishing

Where/who?

Hey, Mannanj - may I ask where and who painted your plane with Sherwin-Williams acryglo? I have been priming with their primer, so I am interested in getting it painted with the same line of products. Thanks!

Doesn't peel off after a few years like base coat/clear coat and look like a bad sunburn/blister peeling off!:rolleyes:

The infamous years of peeling automotive paints (late 80's early 90's) are, chemically speaking, ancient history.

My painter used Sherwin-Williams Acry-Glo. Single stage catalized paint. Goes on easy, levels out to a beautiful gloss and is tough as nails. Doesn't peel off after a few years like base coat/clear coat and look like a bad sunburn/blister peeling off!:rolleyes:

Peel off? Where are you getting that info? From the painter who wanted to use a single stage because its easier for him? The old ways are not necessarily the best ways when it comes to anything chemically based and regulated by the EPA.

Exactly! funny how old wives tails still linger in a lot of aviation.

I think the base/clear wives tales are driven by painters who want to minimize costs and maximize profits. The problem comes in when people parrot their excuses as if they are fact. There is nothing wrong with single stage as a time/cost savings but to say that base clear peels off or isn't easily reparable is silly. I've shot gallons and gallons of both...each has its place.

More wives tales

Bob - PM'd you a link to my base/clear how-I-did-it PowerPoint.

My paint supplier (automotive PPG - base/clear) informed me that auto paint can't be used if the plane goes above 10,000'! When I pressed them as to why, they really didn't know - someone told them....

Not much clear coat popping off of Minnesota cars at -30F!

Makes me smile.

You can do it! - whatever chemistry you choose. I found it to be pretty enjoyable.

One of the reasons clear coat comes off is the application process. If you read the mfg. tech sheet on most base/clear processes there is a recoat window, that being, you have a limited amount of time to apply the clear over the base coat in order to get the desired "cross linking" between the two different products. If you exceed this time and do not "recoat" before clear is applied you could have an adhesion problem. Not a real issue if you follow the mfg. instructions. Most base coats are easy to apply, dry quickly, and can be taped on to apply additional colors/stripes. Just be aware of the recoat window clock starts when you apply the first color.

If you're not an experienced painter, I would use a base coat/clear coat system. The best paint gun you can afford (I use a SATA) and a good buffer polisher. If you have runs or orange peel on the base you can fix with sanding. If you have runs or orange peel on the clear coat you can fix then color sand (fine sanding and buffing) an area, or if you need to, the whole airplane. There are some good videos like Paintucation which will teach you the techniques. I have had good experience with Sherwin-Williams but a good automotive paint will work. I have found a good epoxy primer works well. If you want a better finish (unless you have polish ready construction) then I suggest doing any bodywork over the epoxy then a coat of urethane primer and light sanding.

Ken
4 airplanes completed as an amateur

I am an amateur at painting, I chose bc/cc, it was easy for me as an amateur, a few runs got wet sanded out like they were never there, orange peel, the same.
I used kirker and am happy with the results. Pics on link below. Time will tell.

Bird

BC/CC

Peel off? Where are you getting that info? From the painter who wanted to use a single stage because its easier for him? The old ways are not necessarily the best ways when it comes to anything chemically based and regulated by the EPA.

Observation. Maybe BC/CC has improved over the years. I'll let you guys test the theory!:). Just call me an old school/old fogy!:D. I like my single stage paint.

Back