What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

airconditioner and magnetometer location relationship

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
I'm seriously considering the Flightline ac system. Weight is not an issue for me.
My big concern is the future location of the magnetometer. Whatever avionics I use, this mounting will be critical. Just looking at the AFS site, the minimum recommended distance from any signicant metal mass is 24". Usual mounting point for the magnetometer and the a/c evaporator are both in the forward part of the tailcone.

I spoke to one installer that advised putting the magnetometer in the overhead console.

Is my concern valid?
Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Tom Hanaway

Magnetometer Location

I would recommend that you put the magnetometer in the wingtip. Make a 90 degree bracket and rivet the bracket to the outboard rib. In stall one pop rivet in either the front or back of the bracket so that you can rotate the bracket on one end up or down to get the bracket leveled with the in flight position of the wing. Check the bottom of the cabin door with a level and then just level the bracket to the same bubble or degree as the bottom of the cabin door and then put in the rest of the mounting rivets and bolt on the magnetometer (non steel bolts).

I would recommend that you put the magnetometer in the wingtip. Make a 90 degree bracket and rivet the bracket to the outboard rib. In stall one pop rivet in either the front or back of the bracket so that you can rotate the bracket on one end up or down to get the bracket leveled with the in flight position of the wing. Check the bottom of the cabin door with a level and then just level the bracket to the same bubble or degree as the bottom of the cabin door and then put in the rest of the mounting rivets and bolt on the magnetometer (non steel bolts).

Russ,
I've been leaning towards do that and I like your suggestions. I'm busy closing up the wings and would like to go ahead and pull the wire for the magnetometer now. I'm guessing some type of shielded wire, right? Any suggestions?

John

Yup....what Russ said :D. I put the magnetometer in the wingtip on an RV8, and on my RV10.....no problems and a VERY easy install. I'm using the same location on the F1 Rocket.

Magnetometer wiring

I just installed a Dynon EFIS magnetometer (remote compass) in the aft fuselage (top) of an RV-10 --- the wiring harness supplied with the Dynon was a four-conductor, unshielded and hooked up to a nine-pin connector to the magnetometer.

Wire to Magnetometer

Russ,
I've been leaning towards do that and I like your suggestions. I'm busy closing up the wings and would like to go ahead and pull the wire for the magnetometer now. I'm guessing some type of shielded wire, right? Any suggestions?

John

I used the unshielded wire provided by GRT, no problem.

Russ

antenna interference?

anyone have the magnetometer in the same wingtip as a NAV antenna? any problems with that?

cj

Nav Antenna and magnetometer same wingtip

anyone have the magnetometer in the same wingtip as a NAV antenna? any problems with that?

cj

My Bob Archer nav antenna is glassed into the same wingtip that one of my magnetometers is located (bracket riveted onto outside rib). No problems

I have the Flightline AC air conditioner and the SafeAir1 tip tanks and it looks like the Chelton magnetometer will go in the wingtip.

David "Never met a mod I didn't like" Maib
Finishing kit among other things

Back