What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Park Dallas

uk_figs

Well Known Member
Friend
Need to go to Costco and the nearest appears to be at Air Park Dallas (no Cosco's in Oklahoma:(). Any tips for flying into there (coming from Tulsa).

Also if we chose to stay and visit some family is there a good place to park the RV for a couple of nights?

Just be aware that Air Park is within Addison's (ADS) airspace. Addison is a VERY busy airport and you need to call them first 126.0 MHz.

KGKY

There's a Costco near Arlington (KGKY), and it's pretty easy to get in and out of. Addison is an awfully busy place, and I don't like having to circle over the lake waiting to get onto the frequency for permission to enter the airspace.

Addison is indeed quite busy, and some of the controllers there can be a little cranky in my experience. It is the only place I have ever been chastised by a ground controller - for stopping about 10 feet SHORT of the hold-short line. He wanted my nosewheel ON the hold-short line and proceeded to tell me all about it on the ground freq. before I could switch to tower.

I used to fly into Addison (ADS) quite a bit, I would always call approach (124.3) 10 or 15 miles out to coordinate it, never had a problem. I would think they would handle arrivals into Dallas Air park also. Dallas controllers are some of the best in the country and generally are very accomdating. It would probably be even easier to just pick up flight following out of T town so they have you in the system.

Need to go to Costco and the nearest appears to be at Air Park Dallas (no Cosco's in Oklahoma:(). Any tips for flying into there (coming from Tulsa).

Also if we chose to stay and visit some family is there a good place to park the RV for a couple of nights?

Dave,

I recently visited Air Park Dallas for shopping and dining. I thought the KADS controller was one of the friendliest in the area. Maybe that was because I let her know I was unfamiliar and looking for the airport! The local procedure is to listen to ADS ATIS on 133.4 before contacting the ADS Tower, as mentioned.
ALL traffic to remain east of the runway and pattern altitude is 1200 MSL, though the latest AF/D might sight 1800+.
It is a very narrow runway in fair condition. The parking areas aren't the greatest, lots of holes as most of the hard-to-see tiedown rings and chains are lower than the dirt they're sunk in. They want all transient aircraft to park at the northwest corner by the newly reopened FBO, just head for the Genghis Grill but watch for those holes!

Back