What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air drill speed

cbennet1

Well Known Member
Hi All,

Anyone have practical experience in using air drills with different speeds? - say between the common ~2500RPM and 4000RPM models out there?

Thanks in advance,
Craig

Sorry, should have been more specific. I'm considering what drill to get.

I'm comparing the CP 7300 or others at 2600 RPM versus the Pan American 4000 RPM as an example. Does the 4k make a big difference in the quality of the holes drilled?

Another consideration outside of the speed is longevity. The CP is bushed versus bearings in the Pan American.

Thanks,
Craig

High speed good.

I have both 5,000 and 2,500 rpm drills, and I really like the high speed one. Recommended drill speeds for 3/32" drill bits in aluminum are quite high indeed. Often I keep a #40 bit in the 5k drill and a #30 in the other one. Anytime I'm opening up a prepunched hole, I use a chucking reamer instead of a drill bit - that makes a super clean hole. In fact I'm known to drill undersize and then ream. Will any of this make the plane stronger or faster? No, but the craftsmanship aspect is a big part of the fun for me. YMMV.

The CP is an awesome drill at a great price. You will be able to build dozens of RV's over it's lifespan. I wouldn't go any slower than it's 2400 RPM, but it's my only drill at the moment, and I've been using it for 5 years as an professional A&P, and another 2 building RV (s).

I guess I have different criteria and different experience.

My criteria would include light weight and small size, which the CP meets, as would the Sioux. People really like the Sioux, but the holes won't know if you used the CP.

Speed? Who cares? Supposedly higher speeds are better when drilling aluminum, but I only get holes drilled faster at high rpm's if I use more pressure against the drill. Then it breaks thru with higher pressure and you have less control. So I use a slower speed, probably only 1,500 rpm, but who knows? My drills are surplus, most of the data is unreadable and I don't know what speeds they are rated for. Most of the holes you will "drill" will be reamed, not drilled (I second the vote for a reamer) and you won't know the difference in drill speed when reaming. Just hit the trigger and the hole is done.

So, I say get any small, lightweight air drill at a price you are comfortable with & you'll be OK. And you can buy 2 or 3 CP's for the price of one Sioux and keep a #30 bit or reamer in one, a #40 in another.

Contrary Opinion :)

I tried using an air drill when I started but the trailing air hose was a pain and it emptied an air tank quicker than greased weasel stuff off the end of a hot shovel resulting in unacceptably noisy recharging to the rest of the household. In the end I used my trusty 14.4V DeWalt for the bulk and remainder of the project and it worked very well - good Old Yellow!
Jim Sharkey

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried using an air drill when I started but the trailing air hose was a pain and it emptied an air tank quicker than greased weasel sh1t off the end of a hot shovel resulting in unacceptably noisy recharging to the rest of the household. In the end I used my trusty 14.4V DeWalt for the bulk and remainder of the project and it worked very well - good Old Yellow!
Jim Sharkey

Same here... when I started my build, I already knew I did not want an air drill. I can't stand the noise.

I went to the local hardware store and they did not have any Dewalt lefts, I "had" to buy a 18V Lithium Makita :D Lighter than the DeWalt, not yellow but it's great and came with a 15min charger.

Ahh, but one really nice thing about an air drill is almost instant on and off. Touch the trigger and it is up to speed immediately, let off & it stops--no mass creating momentum, taking a second or two to wind down.

And the small size & weight of good air drills is really nice, at least compared to my cordless and AC powered drills. There will be some tight spots where you will be drilling.

A larger compressor is needed for many air tools and if your compressor can't keep up with an air drill it's really too small. Most builders have at least a 2 hp compressor & 20 gallon tank; many have larger.

Ahh, but one really nice thing about an air drill is almost instant on and off. Touch the trigger and it is up to speed immediately, let off & it stops--no mass creating momentum, taking a second or two to wind down.

Well, I do agree about the size, but for the instant-start stop... my Cordless Makita spins up almost instantly and has an electric brake. The brake is so fast... when the chuck is not tight enough, it unscrews itself when I release the trigger!

Faster = bigger??

"Fast" dirlls tend to make the hole bigger in thin sheet. Test and measure.:)

Now that is very interesting. I was operating under the assumption that slower drilling increased the potential for a bigger/elongated hole because of the increased duration of the drilling process.

Proof again of how little I know. :)

I was about to say, I have the cp and I don't know that I would want it any faster.....

Back