What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

air drill question

Stockmanreef

Well Known Member
I just got in tools I ordered from Avery. I ordered a 4,000 rpm pan american drill, but I got a 2,600 rpm drill. SHould I return the 2,600 rpm and get the 4,000? I was going to get the 6,000 rpm, but thought that 4,000 was good enough. Now 2,600???

Thanks
Ken

If you put 85 or 90 psi through it, it won't be too disappointing. And it's better for things like the Unibit if the trigger's a good one.

Here's what I did when confronted with a similar decision - I kept the 2,600 rpm drill and bought the 6,000 rpm drill too. The 6k drill has a #40 bit in it all the time. A third drill has a #30 bit in it all the time, and the 2.6k drill has whatever other bit I need. This combination works pretty nicely.

I also have two regulators and hoses, one for about 85-90 psi and the other for about 18 or 19 psi. With my particular drills and riveting tools, these cover my needs.

Dave
P.S. This is how tool creep happens.

Last edited:
How creep happens....when you build a garage to build a plane, then add tools.

Thanks for the advice. I was wondering if more than one drill would be OK.

I bought a 2x rivet gun, with thoughts that I would need a 3x at some point.

Thanks
Ken

A drill with #30 and another with #40 saved me a bunch of time in bit changing. A buddy owns one of the small souix drills...and if I could at all justify one of those things of beauty, I would buy it in a heartbeat. You can easily justify another drill.....don't fight it man....you deserve it...treat yourself.

Here's another vote for the time saving ...

... Aspects of two air drills. And you don't need two expensive ones to realize the benefit.

I have one drill, but I bought the quick change chuck from Cleaveland Tools. Much cheaper solution and its fast. I think the Yard Store sells the same type of chuck.

I agree with 2 drills point, I just bought my second 4k drill from Avery. I use an electric cordless with keyless chuck as a third.

But I would call them and get the 2.6 swapped back out for a 4k also. Just my $.02

Back