What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air conditioning - Engine driven or all eletric?

Piloto.Mendes

I've been researching about this subject, and considering pr?s and cons..

What they are?

And another question: An engine driven AC provides a lot of cool air at idle power? That's important for me, because I will face temperature at 30-45?C range frequently.

Thanks

Electric A/C is 28V

Something to consider, I searched in vain for a 14V A/C apparently there's just not enough power to make it viable for an aircraft. Most of the electric A/Cs also draw considerable current when operating (50 plus amps). If you go this way your electrical system will have to be designed to support it.

Flightline all electric uses 45amps at 28V. If you have a second battery, that you only use on the ground for cooling with the engine not running, electric is an option. A 28V power supply in the hangar to precool before startup would help if you went all electric as well. IMHO if you go all electric a second battery and a second alternator is a must, other wise you have just lost 45 amps out of a ~70amp system. I live in Florida so I will probably put AC in my AC.

Back