What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Conditioner Placement???

float208

Well Known Member
I was wondering where to place the cooling air intake for the A/C condenser. I have installed these in Lancair IV-P's which have a pressurized cabin, in the belly just aft of the baggage hold. My concern with the RV-10 is that the cabin isn't sealed from the tail cone and bringing in Exhaust air from the belly into the tailcone to cool the condenser could lead to possible exhaust or Carbon Monoxide into the cabin area? not good. For those who have installed A/C in their RV-10's where did you install the intake and exhaust for the A/C condenser??? Photos would be great.

Chris

I'm using the Flightline system. Here is the link to my log where I installed the intake/exhaust registers. While the tail cone itself is not sealed, the air path through the condenser should be. The registers are prosealed at the louvers and skin and the large diameter SCAT connecting them to the condenser assembly will be sealed with RTV. As far back as the registers are, I doubt they will be picking up that much exhaust anyway (if the underside of my RV-6A is any indication).

Here are a couple of pics of mine (Flightline AC system, too) during construction. I have a CO detector installed and used one of the disposable ones in addition for the first few months, just to make sure. No CO problems.

23upjlv.jpg

2d91gqu.jpg

A/C

Thanks for the great photos. If its a "Sealed" System, I guess there shouldn't be any issues! Did you guys move your Battery to the firewall then?

Thanks
Chris

My battery is in the standard location. Accordingly, my CG is further aft than most RV-10's. I can carry four adults, but have to watch the weights carefully. Typically two couples is fine, but if I put in four big men, it is very close to the aft limit. I also have an MT prop, which is 17 lbs lighter than the 2 blade McCauley, IIRC. Having that extra weight up on the prop would improve things a bit for me. However, 98% of my flying is just my wife and I, so it works fine for us.

I went with the engine mounted compressor, which evens things out a bit. I'm running a heavier 28V system but I think I'll be Ok since I expect that it'll mostly be in 2-man mode, which I understand can be a bit nose-heavy.

Back