What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air compressor specs needed

HeliCooper

Well Known Member
Hello Everyone,

I am starting to put my workshop together and am wondering what I need in an air compressor. This seems like a great deal but I am not sure if the 3.5SFCM @ 90PSI is enough for what I need. I will not be painting my own plane. Will be used for all other uses (riveting, drilling, light die cutting). It is oiled. Thoughts would be appreciated.

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/tls/3923132617.html

Thank you,

Jim

Last edited:
I think that might work, but I'd buy a new compressor, myself--I've had problems buying used ones and you don't know as well what kind of condition the tank is in.

Size-wise, it'll work, but it's probably not great. We built my dad's -6 with a 12 gallon 115psi compressor, but it ran all the time. I bought the 15gal 200psi Campbell-Hausfield one at Lowes and it provides plenty of air for a grinder, drill, rivet gun, HVLP sprayer (for priming); a slightly larger tank and higher pressure helps a lot. It's loud, but that can be dealt with--I use good earmuffs and am planning to eventually build a sound enclosure.

Now, there are a lot of "spare-no-expense" guys that will say you simply can't build with anything less than a 240V 60gal upright unit with dedicated hard-line air throughout your shop. If you have the money to throw around for that, and the space to keep it, go for it. But you can do just fine with a more moderately-sized compressor.

Thanks for the insight. I'm definitely not a no expense spared guy. I figured a reasonable size would be fine but I appreciate the heads up on the brand. Are people having good luck with Craftsman? I don't mind buying used if it is a decent brand that will hold up. Just looking for a good compromise on price, reliability, usefulness.

Last edited:
Craftsman and Campbell-Hausfield are good enough. It is what I have, and I purchased used off Craigslist.

I see nothing wrong with buying used, in fact you can get three times the unit for half the cost that way. But you also have to be careful. If the unit you purchase has a bad motor or other electrical issues, you might as well kiss any savings goodbye.

If you are not using a die-grinder, paint gun or drill, you can get away with a very small, cheap pancake unit. Otherwise its going to need a little bit more to it. Those three tools are hungry for air.

Pretty much what everyone said. Having both a Craftsman oiled and oiless model, I would go with oiled if possible, the biggest air tank you can afford (nothing less then 25 gal IMO, 30+ is better) and at least 5 SFCM @ 90PSI. YMMV...

Craftsman and Campbell-Hausfield are good enough. It is what I have, and I purchased used off Craigslist.

I see nothing wrong with buying used, in fact you can get three times the unit for half the cost that way. But you also have to be careful. If the unit you purchase has a bad motor or other electrical issues, you might as well kiss any savings goodbye.

If you are not using a die-grinder, paint gun or drill, you can get away with a very small, cheap pancake unit. Otherwise its going to need a little bit more to it. Those three tools are hungry for air.

I found an air drill is fine on a 12 gallon model. We are usually using small size drill bits for short working times. This lets the tank can keep up and heck, the new pre-punched kits don't need that much drilling any way.

Now if you use your drill as a die grinder that is a different case...:)

The 12 gallon tank is also OK for priming if you just do one or two skins at a time.

I built my empennage with a well used Harbor Freight 21 gallon compressor I borrowed. It worked flawlessly.
I then got a 30 gallon Husky oil-free compressor. It also runs great however it is LOUD. I wouldn't recommend buying a oil-free compressor.

That was replaced with a Husky 80 gallon compressor It's much quieter. It's hardly noticeable after I placed it outside on a concrete slab in a plywood housing with a muffled intake on it.

whatever you decide, just make sure it's not oil-free. your family and neighbors will thank you. Well, at least they won't complain much.

Harbor Freight Okay

While I would have loved to have a humongous, super-quiet compressor for my build, but I didn't have the ability to run 220v in my shop. I have found that my 29 gallon HF compressor (110v) is just fine for building, except maybe for using my air saw and sander, which causes it to kick on often. Most times, you'll be using your drill, pneumatic squeezer, cleco runner, etc. Those tools don't use too much CFM, so you're probably good with a smaller compressor, unless you want to paint, sand or cut. My advice is, if you go Harbor Frieght, get a new, oiled, 25 gallons plus unit (oil-less ones are too loud). I've seen the Home Depot and Lowe's brands in action, and I didn't feel they were any queiter or somehow better than a well-cared for Harbor Freight Jobber. If you're worried, buy the "no-questions" replacement plan they offer. Then you can spend your money on other tools, like squeezers, runners, etc! :D My $0.02.

Back