What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air compressor question

RV74ME

Well Known Member
Setting up my 60 gal Ingersoll rand air compressor, and trying to figure out what type filters/regulators I need and placement. The compressor will sit about 50 feet from my "shop", and temporarily just running a 50' air hose to a regulator that I keep at 90 psi (compressor is 175 psi) until I can install a more permanent line through the attic.

1. How many filters, and what kind do I need?
2. Should I put a regulator right off the tank and also keep the one further downstream where I will be working?

I will not be painting the airplane myself, but will be using to spray primer at some point.

Thanks

In my shop, it's been very handy to have two regulators, one for 90 psi and another for about 30 psi.

I have them and a filter mounted on a wall near the compressor with a flexible hose from the compressor to the manifold. Then I've got quick disconnects at the regulators for the two hoses, which are different colors so I don't get them mixed up.

Dave

Just a data point. I have just a simple bowl type filter, nothing fancy. I don't use any oilers, I oil the tools to the lines stay clean enough to use for primer. I've sprayed both water based and epoxy primers with no issues at all with water or oil over the past 3 years. It gets pretty humid here in the summer, I drain the tank every day or two when using it regularly. I occasionally vent the valve at the bottom of the filter, but haven't noticed any water accumulation there.

I have one tank mounted regulator that I keep set at 90 PSI, and one on the bench-mounted manifold block that is normally set at 40.

And I am quite sure the experts will tell you that's complete insanity and would never work, your paint will have fisheyes and your lawn will die, etc. All I can tell you is what has worked so far for me.

Last edited:
Insanity

Just a data point. I have just a simple bowl type filter, nothing fancy. I don't use any oilers, I oil the tools to the lines stay clean enough to use for primer. I've sprayed both water based and epoxy primers with no issues at all with water or oil over the past 3 years. It gets pretty humid here in the summer, I drain the tank every day or two when using it regularly. I occasionally vent the valve at the bottom of the filter, but haven't noticed any water accumulation there.

I have one tank mounted regulator that I keep set at 90 PSI, and one on the bench-mounted manifold block that is normally set at 40.

And I am quite sure the experts will tell you that's complete insanity and would never work, your paint will have fisheyes and your lawn will die, etc. All I can tell you is what has worked so far for me.

Dale
Two of us are insane because I have almost the exact set up.
My compressor has a bowl type filter/regulator.
I oil my tools before use.
One hose for tools has a three way manifold. I have two mini regulators with pigtails. One full presure. One varies for the gun.
Another bigger and longer hose is used only for paint.
My gun has a filter first, then mini regulator.
Occasionaly I see dribbles of water at the end of the hose but the don't get past the filter.
No problems.

Water trap just before the spray gun.

Just as another data point, if you are planning on priming and have that much length of hose, it will be important to place another water trap just before the spray gun in addition to your unit at the compressor, as the water vapor from the compressor will condense in the line as it cools and form droplets, which will give you fish-eyes in your primer coat (again I learnt the hard way). Just a $5 mini water trap at the gun solved this problem for me.
Tom.

Back