What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Air Brakes?

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
I don't think so, but I can find no mention of what to fill the brake system with, bleeding, or such. What am I missing?

I use 5606 aviation brake fluid. Some like the lo flam stuff, but I have had no problems with the 5606 in my 6A nor with the 12. I bleed the brakes the usual way which is to pump the fluid up thru the system from the drain/feed port on each brake caliper. Just keep going till all the lines are red with fluid , no air pockets, and continue until the resevoir is about 3/4 full. That's it.
Dick Seiders 120093

MIL-PRF-83282

MIL-PRF-83282 is compatible with 5606 but has a much higher flash point. This is what I will use on my RV-9A.

ATF?

I am not necessarily recommending this, but some aircraft owners use automotive Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) in their brake systems. It is compatible with the seals and works OK. I do not know about the flammability. One disadvantage of ATF is that it is not stocked at airports, if you ever need the brake fluid topped off while on a trip. Different types of fluid should not be mixed.
Joe Gores

Read the Matco brake manual.

Don read matco manual that comes with the brakes. There is more info what brake fluid to use.

Back