What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ailerons

Sid Lambert

Well Known Member
is it me or is building the ailerons way to complicated? I have 2 dents in my first aileron from what I fell is simply a structure that is more complicated than it needs to be.

I'm just venting but also wondering if anyone else had problem riveting the top row of rivets by yourself.

Sid, be patient.

They say this is some of the hardest riveting in the kit. I put the ails in the vee jig and cut a piece of flat bar stock from which I made my own "no brainer" bucking bar.

I call it a no brainer bar because it is covered with tape and the tape is mounded up on the side which contacts the skin and this allows it to "self-align" and mitigates clubbed rivets.

The flat stock is 3/8" by 2 1/2" and around 3" long. It is kinda light, so I needed to increase the time spent on the rivets, but it worked very well and I was able to to it all alone.

Does this help?

:eek: CJ

dont remember

much about it except others used two people and one was on the ground. i did mine alone.laid them on a x stand like body shops use sat on a little roller chair(12" high on casters.)seems like i some how used the v blocks to keep them straight.. was easier than i thought it would be. may have pics but it will be tommorow before i can post them. good luck ditto on the taped up bar

I had help with mine and it went really easy. I laid on the creeper with the aileron hanging over the edge of the bench and shot the rivets from the bottom. Luke bucked from the top. I saw that method on Dan's site here http://rvproject.com/20020821.html he had Jen shooting. I let Luke buck as his arms are smaller and fit in better than mine. If you can round someone up to help try this method. It worked well for us. YMMV

found the pics

oops forgot to resize this is how to one man it
notice i am using a leading edge cradle and am on the table with the duct tape roll holding the skin open

CY, I did the same thing, but had the ail in the vee jig the other way.

P4060389.JPG

I couldn't find a good pic of the bucko bar, but yours is very similar.

:) CJ

Back