What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron/wingtip overlap

Sig600

Well Known Member
Currently mounting up my wingtips using the piano hinge method. Anyone else have about .25-.50" of overlap between the inboard sections of wing tip and the outboard edges of the ailerons? Looks like I'm going to need to trim quite a bit of fiberglass to get a nice fit...

Aileron/Wingtip overlap

Yes, you will need to trim quite a bit off. It has been a few years but if memory serves me, about 1/2 inch or more on mine.

I trimmed mine back to the aft edge of the wing skin and -- using Darwin's instructions -- made the gap between aileron and wingtip the same as the gap between aileron and flap, which I think was about 1/4." I didn't bother to measure how much I took off.

On the bottom, I just trimmed enough to clear the aileron bracket and to allow clearance of the hinge when the aileron rotates.

Common Spot for Binding Under Load

I would shoot for at least 3/8 inch clearance. Under load the wings and tips flex, not uncommon for binding to occur if you try to keep this gap too tight.

Hans

Back