What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim

Trevor778

Well Known Member
Just looking for opinions on what trim option to go with if any? I personally have never flown an aircraft that has needed aileron trim, but they've all been cessnas that pull fuel "evenly" from both tanks. I'm putting my fuse order through tomorrow and am tempted to go with no aileron trim, and if I need it down the road I don't have a problem riveting on a small tab. What say you?

RV-6 Experience

No need for aileron trim at cruise but I need some right trim with flaps at pattern speeds, especially without a passenger.

The simple "spring trim" is easy to install, operate and effective for the circumstances described above.

Just one data point.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Finally broken free again from a frozen NE USA field :)

No need for aileron trim at cruise but I need some right trim with flaps at pattern speeds, especially without a passenger.

The simple "spring trim" is easy to install, operate and effective for the circumstances described above.

Just one data point.

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Finally broken free again from a frozen NE USA field :)

I agree Jim, although I have to use the trim more often then just slow speed depending on fuel and passenger. The spring trim works well and easily controllable from pilot & passenger side.

I have a 6A. I used the servo operated trim "hinge" on the aileron. I really like it. Other RV owners who have the bias spring setup like mine. But it's more difficult to install. The aileron forces are very light, and easy to manage without trim. But I prefer trim, and the ability to perfectly balance the plane without any pressure on the stick. I do use a four way hat switch for trim.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back