What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim?

comfortcat

Well Known Member
Friend
We finished the wings on my RV-9A and we opened the Fuse box!
I bought the fuse from another builder and he had purchased the manual trim kit. Small amount of aluminum and a long green cable. hmmmm...

So my question is for flying RV-9'a out there: Is the aileron trim really required? If so, manual or electric? Any regrets?

I got the electric elevator trim option.

Dkb
:confused:

You will want aileron trim. I really like the electric trim, but manual would be fine I am sure.

aileron trim kit

The aileron trim kit has many aluminum bits, a powdercoated steel handle, 2 springs, and misc hardware. That long green cable is the pitch trim (elevator) cable.
And yes, you do need aileron trim if you want to fly hands-off without an autopilot.

And yes, you do need aileron trim if you want to fly hands-off without an autopilot.

I'm curious, why ist that so?
Are the aileron forces too light? No lateral stability?
For a single engine airplane I would have thought a rudder trim could be an issue for a high power engine installation, together with the required longitudinal trim.

But an aileron trim?

Thomas

I'm curious, why ist that so?
Are the aileron forces too light? No lateral stability?
For a single engine airplane I would have thought a rudder trim could be an issue for a high power engine installation, together with the required longitudinal trim.

But an aileron trim?

Aileron forces are not TOO light.............they are perfect

Rudder trim isn't a bad idea, but either the offset vertical stab or or pre-bent tab will do.

Without being scientific, I guess RV's just don't have as much lateral stability as heavier & sluggish Cessna's and Piper's do, with lot's of dihedral or a fuselage slung under the wing.

I very much like my aileron trim. It's not a requirement due to "lighter" aileron forces, but works well for total hands off.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Aileron Trim

If an RV was loaded completely symmetrically (pilot, co-pilot, baggage, fuel, installed equipment) you probably wouldn't need aileron trim. However if you are flying solo in a side by side airplane, are burning fuel from one tank (no BOTH selection in RVs) then aileron trim is a good idea.

I just bought a finished RV-9A out of Reno. It has a lever about three inches long beetween the seats. Any chance it is some type of aileron trim? Previous owner did not explain it. Not a big deal as aileron trim has not been important as the autopilot handles the differentials I have had so far.

Ken

I just bought a finished RV-9A out of Reno. It has a lever about three inches long beetween the seats. Any chance it is some type of aileron trim? Previous owner did not explain it. Not a big deal as aileron trim has not been important as the autopilot handles the differentials I have had so far.

Ken

Yep, aileron trim. Keeping the plane in trim will reduce the load on the autopilot servo and prevent the plane from banking suddenly when the autopilot is disengaged.

Enjoy your new plane!

Holy Cow!

Had I known that long green cable was required for my electric trim, I would have gone manual! :eek:

(Just kidding, guess I got a spare.)

Dkb

The aileron trim kit has many aluminum bits, a powdercoated steel handle, 2 springs, and misc hardware. That long green cable is the pitch trim (elevator) cable.

I am a fan of aileron trim primarily because during cruise flight, I like to fly with the airplane in perfect (or reasonably so) balance. Aileron trim allows you to find and fine tune that balance. Without aileron trim to compensate, in my -6A the joystick will start to favor, (meaning lean towards) one one side or the other if a fuel imbalance of 4 or 5 gallons or more occurs. With a fuel imbalance and no aileron trim to compensate, the pilot soon finds himself with a side load on the joystick that must be overcome just to keep the wings level. Granted, it is not much of a load to overcome but if you let go of the stick, the RV will immediately enter into a slight bank. That "unbalanced" condition is not ideal for pilots who prefer to fly straight and level with the joystick in a near constant vertical position and maintain that vertical condition by using very light fingertip pressure. In short, aileron trim....be it manual or electric....helps keep the wings level and joystick vertically orientated at all times.

I am a fan of aileron trim primarily because during cruise flight, I like to fly with the airplane in perfect (or reasonably so) balance. Aileron trim allows you to find and fine tune that balance. Without aileron trim to compensate, in my -6A the joystick will start to favor, (meaning lean towards) one one side or the other if a fuel imbalance of 4 or 5 gallons or more occurs. With a fuel imbalance and no aileron trim to compensate, the pilot soon finds himself with a side load on the joystick that must be overcome just to keep the wings level. Granted, it is not much of a load to overcome but if you let go of the stick, the RV will immediately enter into a slight bank. That "unbalanced" condition is not ideal for pilots who prefer to fly straight and level with the joystick in a near constant vertical position and maintain that vertical condition by using very light fingertip pressure. In short, aileron trim....be it manual or electric....helps keep the wings level and joystick vertically orientated at all times.

... and, when used that way, provides a backup reminder to ignoring your timer for switching fuel tanks! :D

Just wondering if aileron trim can be added to a flying RV or one that is built and almost ready to fly?

Just wondering if aileron trim can be added to a flying RV or one that is built and almost ready to fly?
Yes to that. At least for the manual trim. You do have to remove the seat floor and the dozens of screws holding them in place and will have to cut out a hole for the trim handle to protrude through the seat pan but all of the hardware resides underneath these seat pans.

The electric trim uses the same type of setup so it also can be done but you will also have to deal with running wiring for power and wiring the appropriate switch you intend to use.

Back