What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim Opinions

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I am sitting here contemplating not installing my electric aileron trim option, and using the servo for a rudder trim mod instead. My current aircraft does not have aileron trim, the autopilot does a great job, and when its not in use, the plane usually flies level hands off. My question is, is it really worth the hassle of installing the aileron trim? Most of the time on cross countries the autopilot will be taking care of it, and if I rig this correctly, it should fly hands off (I hope).
Bill

IMHO Only

I installed the spring-type roll trim on my 7A when I built it. In over 200 hours, I never used it. I just took it out last week. I do use the autopilot when I want the airplane to fly straight and level by itself. Even with or without a passenger, heavy or light, I never noticed any real difference when hand-flying.This is merely one person's experience, but you asked.

I installed the aileron trim and I am glad I did. The autopilot does a good job, but I do hand fly sometime. :) Fat pilot and fuel imbalance (or in balance depending on how you look at it) drive that need. With full fuel and fat pilot...heavy left wing....but burn some fuel out of the left tank and back to straight and level.

I have the spring trim installed on my RV-9 and use it all the time. I wish I had electric aileron trim and I will most likely change it over. When I am by myself or have a fuel imbalance, it is very nice to have. If I were you, I wouldn't even consider not installing it. If anything the rudder trim is the on you most likely won't need or can do without. Just my opinion, Allan

I have the electric servo trim tab on my 6A. It's also used all the time, since I prefer the aircraft in perfect trim without an auto-pilot servo being called into action much of the time. It's a fact,.... these aircraft will not fly in perfect trim if there is an inbalance between passengers, fuel load, etc. You'll either be holding it level with the stick, or forcing the A/P to do so. I just prefer hands off perfection............and I get it!

L.Adamson --- RV6A

It's a fact,.... these aircraft will not fly in perfect trim if there is an imbalance between passengers, fuel load, etc. L.Adamson --- RV6A

This is something I was really surprised by thus far in my test period (7.1 hrs so far)----so much so that I did a couple of test flights with different fuel loads to confirm how sensitive the lateral loading.

I do not have aileron trim, but I will be installing some one in the future.

Big question I am looking at is trim tab on the aileron, or a spring system.

I will need to re-locate the rudder trim switch to the panel, and use the coolie hat for the aileron.

First of all I must state that we have not configured our Skyview AP. We are in the testing phase of flying our RV-10, 49 hrs only. On longer flights with the AP on and burning from one tank we will get out an of trim indicator flashing and the AP will slip. We disconnect the AP and trim the wings level and activate the AP and all is well. I'm hoping that configuring the AP will stop most of this, it's a pain every 1/2 hr trimming the wings for fuel burn. I'm glad we have aileron trim as we are setup right now,as we would not be able to use our AP thus far. We have no experience flying with an AP what so ever. We will have to wait for spring to work things our.
Anyone else flying an RV-10 with Skyview and there AP? How's it working for you?
March 11 today. Updating this post. We have just replaced our roll servo from the SV-32 (as recommended by Dynon two years ago) to, todays recommendation of an SV-52. Waiting for weather for test flight.
Ron

Last edited:
I agree with Mike S.
It is surprising how little fuel imbalance will result in a heavy wing. I am very glad I installed the aileron trim.
I have electric rudder trim and find that I use it very rarely. A long climb to high altitude and a long descent from that high altitude are about the only time I touch it. So, if I was doing it again, I would look at the mlblueskunk.com rudder trim system. Far less complexity and no holes in the rudder.

Aileron trim installed in wing. Will install spring system

in cockpit for rudder trim after flying if I feel it is needed. I am like David and did not want any mods/holes in my rudder, more wires, more money, more weight and more build time.

I do feel that the area around the aileron trim mount is a little on the light side so I may beef that up down the road. I think it was good for just an access panel but try moving the controls full left and right and watch how much the skin moves. Something else to do after flying.

I had manual aileron trim in my -7 but replaced that with electric trim controlled from the hat switch on the stick. It's sooo much easier....

A word of caution when using the A/P to 'do the trim', you'll find the trim changes as you burn gas (well I certainly do), so unless you have an automatic trim system you will find that when the A/P is disconnected (either manually or the A/P disconnects itself cos trim forces are excessive) you may well (will) be way out of trim thereby needing large (and rapid) trim and control adjustment.... just a thought.... :)

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will go ahead and install the system since it is a lot easier now then later when everything is closed up! I may wait on the rudder trim and see what happens. I have always had rudder trim in my aircraft and use it only during climb and descent.
Bill

Aileron Electric trim instalation question

I am installing an aileron electric trim. I am having a hard time figuring out how to rout the wires. Can someone help. Called Vans they were as confused as I.
Drawing EAT-1 does not show any wire routing or any penetration points from the rear wing spar to the leading edge of the aileron.
Any help and photos would be appreciated.

Thanks
:confused: Bob

I am installing an aileron electric trim. I am having a hard time figuring out how to rout the wires. Can someone help. Called Vans they were as confused as I.
Drawing EAT-1 does not show any wire routing or any penetration points from the rear wing spar to the leading edge of the aileron.
Any help and photos would be appreciated.

This is how I did mine. The wire hangs slightly into the wind, but you'd have to look under the plane to see it. I put my auto-pilot servo & trim servo on the right wing..............to offset my weight a bit.

http://i51.tinypic.com/jt9yqv.jpg

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Back