What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Trim For The RV-12

Geico266

Well Known Member
Now that I'm flying my -12 I would like to add a few things that I have come to find useful in other RV's I've flown and I would like some advice.

Aileron trim just makes sense. Fuel load changes, passengers, baggage, me eating too much, ect, loads change all the time. It sure would be nice to be able to trim out the aircraft to the load you have at the time.

I would like to stick with a simple manual design like offered for the -6's, 9's, etc. Does anyone have any idea which one would work the best? Remember, we have the flap handle in the middle, but there is room under it.

Hopefully there is a repeat offender working on a -12 that has installed a manual aileron trim and could help, but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated by the -12 builders.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

Last edited:
re: regs

I'm so unsure of the regs concerning E-LSA.:eek:
Is it legal to install an autopilot or trim or anything else for that matter, to the RV12?
I was under the impression that it had to be built EXACTLY per plans/instructions with no deviation whatsoever. Or is that what the "E" means? I honestly don't know!
Does S-LSA mean "store-bought"?:D

Marshall Alexander

I'm so unsure of the regs concerning E-LSA.:eek:
Is it legal to install an autopilot or trim or anything else for that matter, to the RV12?
I was under the impression that it had to be built EXACTLY per plans/instructions with no deviation whatsoever. Or is that what the "E" means? I honestly don't know!
Does S-LSA mean "store-bought"?:D

Marshall Alexander

The -10 has electric trim. I would rather stick with the simple trim set ups. Any ideas?

ELSA

Yes, SLSA means "special" LSA. When built per the SLSA and then given an airworthiness certificate as an ELSA you can make changes within any limitations of your operating limitations. If there is no prohibition (not likely) make the change, log it, fly within phase 1 if it is a 'major' change, then log results, and continue flying. Not different really from the AB experimental rules.

EXACTLY per plans

RV10Man I'm so unsure of the regs concerning E-LSA.
I was under the impression that it had to be built EXACTLY per plans/instructions with no deviation whatsoever. Or is that what the "E" means? I honestly don't know! Does S-LSA mean "store-bought"? Marshall Alexander

Marshall,
You are correct that the RV-12 has to be built exactly per the plans with no deviations allowed. However, once the plane is registered and the 5 hours flown off, changes ARE allowed. So Larry can add a trim system or whatever else he wants to do. Major changes might require additional paperwork. Perhaps Mel will tell us what paperwork is nessary for major and minor changes.
Yes, S-LSA is Store-bought and ready to fly. A person could buy a S-LSA and then register it as an E-LSA if desired. However, once changed from S-LSA to E-LSA, it can not be changed back without the manufacturer's OK. And it might be hard to get a manufacturer to do that.
Joe

Major changes may be incorporated on an ELSA after it has been certificated. The requirements are listed in you operating limitations. They are very similar to the requirements within amateur-built op lims.

The main thing to remember here is that any change that takes the aircraft outside light-sport parameters will invalidate your airworthiness certificate and it can never be reinstated. Remember, the light-sport rule states that the aircraft must have met light-sport parameters continuously from original certification.

re: understand

Thanks all. Ya'll made it simpler than I thought.:) With what I learned here, I'll probably pursue an RV12 a little later on. I think I'd want a few "creature comforts" that aren't included in the kit. But if they can be added later and the airplane still be within regs, that changes my perspective. Thanks again.

Marshall

Thanks all. Ya'll made it simpler than I thought.:) With what I learned here, I'll probably pursue an RV12 a little later on. I think I'd want a few "creature comforts" that aren't included in the kit. But if they can be added later and the airplane still be within regs, that changes my perspective. Thanks again.

Marshall

Sorry Marshal, you cannot order a -12 kit until you (or someone else) answer my initial question.

Which RV aileron trim kit can be adapted to the -12? Anyone? All I'm looking for is a guess at this point. I'll order one and see if I can make it work.

Hi Larry,

You could make an aileron trim system that is simple and effective by using the principals of the elevator trim in the "Salto" glider. In the glider there was a fiberglass spring set about three inches in front of the control stick with a hinged rod attached to the top of the spring this round rod had gear like teeth cut on the bottom side of the rod. The other end of the rod was run through a hole in the stick and on the top of the stick there was a spring loaded button that was the top of a second rod that ran down through the stick and it had a matching gear teeth section on the top of what would be a stirrup if it was on a horse saddle. The fiberglass spring was not all that strong so if you wanted to make a maneuver with out changing the trim that was simple to do and if you wanted to change the trim set the controls where you wanted the aircraft and push the button, the button would lower the gear teeth and the fiberglass spring would move the first rod to the correct position to hold the controls where you are currently holding them, if you release the button the gear teeth reengage and the trim is set to the new position. I am sure you could simply change the direction and the release to a small lever and it would work just fine.

Hope others have a better idea.

Best regards,
Vern

re: sorry

Sorry Marshal, you cannot order a -12 kit until you (or someone else) answer my initial question.

Which RV aileron trim kit can be adapted to the -12? Anyone? All I'm looking for is a guess at this point. I'll order one and see if I can make it work.

Sorry Larry, I didn't put any kind of trim on my -10 ailerons.:) The elevtors do have electric trim, but it's provided in the kit. I'm not smart enough deviate too much.

Marshall

Back