What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Travel

apkp777

Well Known Member
At about 15 degrees of down travel, my aileron push rods contact the rear spar hole. On the up side they contact the spar hole prior to reaching the up stops and at about 30 degrees of travel. I have been racking my brain about this for hours. Anyone got any ideas.

Forget the lousy picture quality. I am no photographer. I have masking tape on the rod to prevent any damage to it. On the top of the picture you can see where one of the rivet heads has made contact with the spar before reaching the up stop.

The 421 bell cranks appear to be installed correctly. The 421R goes in the left wing and the 421L goes in the right. That seemed backwards but is what the drawing shows.

2rzb0he.jpg
[/IMG]

What I did

I remember I had the same problem two years ago. After searching multiple builders logs I used Dremel to open the hole. You may remove up to 1/8. Also I believe you need to reduce your rivet heads on the rod first.

I remember I had the same problem two years ago. After searching multiple builders logs I used Dremel to open the hole. You may remove up to 1/8. Also I believe you need to reduce your rivet heads on the rod first.

Vlad - Yes, that what I am thinking I will have to do. It just seems that something is backwards. I am getting out the Dremel in the morning if no one else has any ideas. It looks like, as you said, about 1/8" will be all it will take. The rivet heads can be moved by rotating the rod by 45 degrees.

Go slow

Do not rush here Tony. Sleep with it and next morning it may fit by itself :) You can even leave this operation till mating the wings to fuselage.

I haven't measured the travel on mine yet, but I think I may have the same issue. I used a half round file to open up one of the holes a bit, almost all the way to the attach bracket, and it still seems like it isn't traveling down very far.

Please post back with how things work out :D

Do not rush here Tony. Sleep with it and next morning it may fit by itself :) You can even leave this operation till mating the wings to fuselage.

Good advice!

As long as I know that there is a simple fix (a little grinding) I don't need to deal with it right away. I haven't torqued up the bell crank fasteners not the aileron and flap bolts. Was just trying to get that done. I am running out of work and am trying to get as much done as possible. My engine is due to ship on Mar 1st, the only thing remaining ins the FWF and canopy fit/glue.

Aileron push tube holes

I had the same problem. Had to slightly enlarge the spar hole. I also had my rodend bearings welded to the tube to get rid of the rivets so they would have no chance of catching in the hole.

I can see the rivets getting "hooked" on the spar. That'd get your attention in flight! There should be a Service Bulletin out on that.

I believe that this is a common issue and has been mentioned in previous threads. I don't know of anybody who has not had to enlarge that hole for the pushrod. [now that i've said that, surely someone who didn't enlarge the hole will chime in]

greg

This is pretty common on all 2-seat RVs with the possible exception of the -12. The worst situation is the -6 where the wing design was originally converted from the -4 wing and the push-rod is at quite an angle.

So do you think I should wait till the wings are attached and during the rigging to enlarge the hole?

Yep - had to enlarge mine also. Pay special attention to the rivet heads getting caught on the edge of the hole - make sure you have sufficient clearance to avoid contact.

Me to!

I had to enlarge mine, in the left wing (right wing going on next week). I had my pushrods welded, so no "hooking" of the rivets. (isn't that a "strange" word in English??)

I am still wondering how to determine where the stops go (at what position the ailerons should stop)?? Maybe somebody can give me hint?

Regards, Tonny.

Tony, You will need to grind and file the hole a little to get them to work. I agree with others, you should wield the aileron push rods. You have a great site and you are doing a nice job on your wiring. I just ordered my finish kit, should have it in March.

Jim Fogarty
RV9a building MN.

VAns advice ...

I called the Mother ship about this 2 years ago when encountered it. Ken said essentially, "Common question. No big deal. Enlarge the hole as necessary."

I have to say it is a relief to hear all your responses. I really thought I screwed something up. I will enlarge the hole as necessary. I am generally not all that satisfied with my wings. My RH aileron looks like **** and as soon as I get this ship airborne, I am going to mfg a new one. When I say the push rod hole I figure it was just another goof on my part.

Yep Tony...had to enlarge that opening to create plenty of clearance for the rivet heads. Are you at home or have you moved to the airport? Our -9A is at West Bend...only a few more hours left on our Phase I flights.

Hello Jack, I am still in my garage. Getting the wings ready to move to my hangar though. A few months before the rest goes to the airport. I need to cut my canopy as soon as the temps get into the 50's (I can add 20-30 with my shop heater) I hope to get that done by May.

I plan to be at the Chapter 18 meeting. Perhaps I will see you there.

The 421 bell cranks appear to be installed correctly. The 421R goes in the left wing and the 421L goes in the right. That seemed backwards but is what the drawing shows.
That's right. you'd think that after all these years, they would get the drawing changed.

Back