What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Torque Tube Nuts

ERushing

Well Known Member
Hi Guys,

I sent this one in to Vans first thing yesterday and still have no response. It's after 4PM West Coast time so User support is closed. Thought I'd just bring it to the braintrust.

On page 23-7 of the Wing plans, an AN364-428 nut is called out which, I believe, is the low profile self locking nut. I went through the inventory 4 times and didn't see any sign of this nut. I can always order a bunch of nuts from ACS but wanted to see if anyone else ran into this? My eyes are getting old and maybe I just missed it in the inventory!

Anyone run into this??

BTW - Wing bottom skin riveting should start on Monday or so! Very close to finishing up the QBwings! (Minus the tips, of course...)

I can scan it if you want, Bill :) The CD plans and my paper plans definitely call for the 364. The 365 fits but has no threads above the nut when fully torqued... which is why I figured it needed the 364! (It's the nut at the end of the two threaded pushrod ends.

Thanks for the quick reply!

The 365 fits but has no threads above the nut when fully torqued... which is why I figured it needed the 364! (It's the nut at the end of the two threaded pushrod ends.

As with all things on a Van's build, use the right rivet/screw/bolt. The planes are a great start, but should not be viewed as infallible. For your specific issue, use the next size larger bolt and a standard 365 nut with a standard washer.

Carl

I'll call ACS and order 'em. Unfortunately, the bolt goes on a threaded insert that goes into the end of the torque tube collars.

Just was curious if anyone else has found this omission in the inventory or error in the plans. I suspect it's probably a recent change in the plan and the inventory just hasn't caught up yet.

I might also try a 960-416L washer to see if that gives me the required "at least 1 full thread" showing w/ the AN365 nut.

Have a great weekend!

I just looked at my paper plans dated 2010, and it called for a 365.... Threads need to show, maybe they changed it to 364 and forgot to change the PL to provide the part!

I just looked at my paper plans dated 2010, and it called for a 365.... Threads need to show, maybe they changed it to 364 and forgot to change the PL to provide the part!

My plans are dated 1/28/13 and they also call out the 428

It was a change. All early -10s had this problem. I notified Vans and they added the change.

Eric, I think you and I got our wings about the same time. My plans also call for AN364-428 which were not included in my kit either. They must have updated the plans without updating the hardware bags. Your eyes are spot on.

Dave

Might call Vans on Monday and see if they'll ship 'em to me for free versus calling ACS and paying $15 to ship $0.50 worth of nuts :)

Just request a bubble pack and US mail ........ about $3

Yes. And while your at it, order a good supply of the most common nuts, bolts, screws, washers, nutplates, cotter pins, etc, that you will use. I have 5 of those small parts cabinets from Lowe's hanging on my wall in the hanger all nicely organized and labeled. You would not believe how handy those become during the build and in doing maintenance. If I start running low on one of the bin items or need to place an order with ACS, I take a quick inventor, make a list, and place an order.

Good call, David. Fortunately, I've already done that. I ordered a bunch of AN365 nuts so that I wouldn't have to re-use (along with bolts, cotter pins, screws, etc.) Didn't think about (or frankly, know about) AN364 low profiles nuts!

just a confirmation...

Eric, you are not alone, recent wing order early this year, they are not on the contents list, however as you point out they on the drawing for ....So glad the plans were updated, perhaps the parts list will be by......??? I am always amazed at the beauty of the fit and engineering in these kits, guess a minor business "slip" here and there is not surprising. I hope to have them include some nuts in my next regular Vans order, will be a couple of months before I hang the wings anyway. Nice you brought it up now so I can plan ahead.:)

Good call, David. Fortunately, I've already done that. I ordered a bunch of AN365 nuts so that I wouldn't have to re-use (along with bolts, cotter pins, screws, etc.) Didn't think about (or frankly, know about) AN364 low profiles nuts!

Your not too far from Columbia Airmotive in Troutdale http://columbiaairmotive.com/. If you have a trip in the near future to PDX during normal business hours you could swing by their shop. It's just up the hill from the Troutdale airport. I'd call em first to make sure they have those in stock though.

Thanks Ben! I've been looking for a shop around here that might have what I need sooner than waiting for a ACS order. I'm down in Portland all the time, passing by Troutdale so that would be very convenient! Instant gratification is always nice....

Back