What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron top skin misalignment

smithhb

Well Known Member
I'm clecoing my right aileron together and notice the top skin is not aligning with the outboard rib. The skin is 1/16" short of covering the rib. It is the same on the left aileron.
070201.jpg

070201a.jpg

070201b.jpg

070201c.jpg

Is this normal? The bottom skin aligns perfectly flush with the outboard rib flange.

Mine was exactly like yours.. No one was too concerned.... Was told to just file away the overhanging edge, for asthetic reasons... and to "Build On"
Paulo Finateri 9A
Fuselage - rear deck riveting

Mis-Alignment

Bret,
I just finished my left aileron and it lined up perfectly. Looks like maybe the overall length of the skin is too short. Maybe a bad day on the shear at Van's? While it doesn't seem like too big of a deal to file away the "excess" rib, I'm not too sure about doing that on the spar also. Maybe one of the Tech Counselors can answer better.

PaulR said:
Bret,
I just finished my left aileron and it lined up perfectly. Looks like maybe the overall length of the skin is too short. Maybe a bad day on the shear at Van's? While it doesn't seem like too big of a deal to file away the "excess" rib, I'm not too sure about doing that on the spar also. Maybe one of the Tech Counselors can answer better.
Trimming the spar should not be a problem so long as you maintain edge distance for the holes.

Trailing edge

Filing away the excess rib flange seems easy enough...I just wonder about the trailing edge.

I agree, it looks like the skin was sheared 1/16" too short.

Yup!

I had exactly the same problem. Not something which would dramatically change flight characteristic. Just reduced the end rib overhang on the scotchbrite wheel when everything was complete.

Fred

Unequial Rib Flange Height?

I had a similar thing with my Vertical Stab. It was caused by the ribs being bent/formed incorrectly. The ribs were formed off-center such that one flange was longer than the other on opposite sides of the rib. This caused the holes in the flanges to be at different heights above the web of rib and caused a misalignment of the skin. I sent photos to Vans and got replacment ribs. Now I always check that my flanges and holes are the same length/height.

Scott
Sugar Land, TX
-9 Wings

Same problem but a little worse

Van sent me new skins and they were much better. If it is a true 1/16 or less and your edge distance is good then I would file the rib or skin. If it is worse I would call Vans. The problem with my skins was not the overall outside dimensions of the skin but all the holes were shifted over to the one side about and 1/8 of an inch so the skin was short 1/8" on one rib and hung over 1/8" on the other.

Back