What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron to Flap Gap Dimension ??

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Puzzled in Little Rock? I'm trying to set the flap hinge on the rear spar so I was looking for a dimension or mark on the plans to help align the flap position relative to the aileron. Didn't find one so decided to set the aileron first and then work everything back to the inside.

All I see on the plans is that the aileron should be set for a 1/4 gap to the tip at the outboard edge. To me, that means 1/4 from the outboard wing skin edge. Now if I do that and align the flap with the flap brace, I get a 1/2 inch gap between the flap and the aileron. Plans call for a 1/4 inch gap there.

To get that, I will have to move the flap hinge 1/4 outboard which is no problem other than it won't line up exactly with the outboard edge of the flap brace. It will be about (no suprise) 1/4 inch past the edge of the flap brace.

This doesn't appear to be a problem unless it would cause a large gap at the fuse to flap junction. My guess is that 1/4 here would be covered anyway so it would not matter. True / False ??

Just checking to see what others have done or if there is a hard alignment mark for setting the flap position? Seems like you have to just set the aileron and then work back toward the fuse but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks Bill S
7a only the QB wings left

Last edited:
Back