What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Stops

bjdecker

Well Known Member
Ambassador
If you're frustrated by the Van's recommended aileron stops for the RV-3,4,6,7,9,10,14, I respectfully submit the following alternative. I placed a piece of 3/8"ID rubber fuel line (O.D. ~ 1/2") over the A-711 bushing. The fuel line contacts the W-413-PP(L&R) inboard hinge with a satisfying "thunk", instead of the bone jarring contact at the A-914...The reduction in aileron throws/deflection/travel is negligable.

Of course this isn't approved by Van's...YMMV, Caveat Build-or ;)

Excerpts from DWG 13A attached.
Picture of installed "bumped" attached.

EDIT: A little history on this -- aside from the challenge of drilling holes in the aileron bracket and setting up the stop just so, the need to dampen the energy put into the structure was highlighted by a service bulletin/letter for the RV - 12 . After another RV-12 builder reviewed the work-around and data and he determined that a softer durometer material as a bumper would achieve better results than the work-around proposed in the SB/Letter. (I don't have it handy -- sorry).

The objective of this was three-fold: ease of installation, stop the movement, reduce the energy imparted to the airframe. I used the same flexible fuel line *instead* of Delrin, Nylon, or Aluminum...

Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 4.37.01 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 4.38.24 PM.png

IMG_4332.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh no. Your wing will fall apart. 😵‍💫just kidding. People have been using the Delrin rod in the same place in your picture.

I found installing the aileron stops per Vans method was a non drama event.

I used 1" nylon rod stock I had back in the day when the derlin ones were poping up. Super easy, made a bunch for others.

I used 1" nylon rod stock I had back in the day when the derlin ones were poping up. Super easy, made a bunch for others.

Back