What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Stops

shiney

Well Known Member
Reading through the many posts there appears to be two choices with the aileron stops, plans method (fabricate two stops) and a method introduced by an eight builder using Delrin over the aluminum bushing. Which way is best? And for the 7's what size Delrin gives the correct degree of stop?

Shiney

Which way is best? I'm guessing most people will say the way THEY did it is the best. I used the plans method. Simple, solid, permanent.

I made this incredibly complex tool for the job:

Position everything just short of full deflection, then use the aileron to gently push it into the final spot (I used a smart level taped to the aileron). This ensures it will make flush contact. Mark, check 7 or 8 more times, clamp, drill, rivet, repeat, done.

Hi Jim,

thanks for the reply, please explain to this incredibly stupid person how your incredibly complex tool works!

Shiney

I used the Delrin method. 1/2" OD is the size I used and it gives full aileron throw. I actually found some 1/2" OD nylon spacers at the hardware store that have the advantage of a hole already drilled, just needed to be opened up a bit.

It's just a strip of alclad with the ends bent to grip the base of the bracket. There isn't room in there for much else once the aileron is mounted. In the picture it looks like it's bowed away from the bracket but it's actually pre-bent the other way to give it a better hold on the stop. The idea is that it will hold the stop in place but also allow it to be pushed into position. After the picture was taken, I hung the aileron (no washers or spacers, I think) and proceeded as outlined above.

Back