What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aileron stop bracket

Does anyone know the best way to position the aileron stop bracket? The plans show aprox. position and give reference to sect. 15 for min and max travel. There isn't any room to clamp the bracket for drilling.

Here is a shot of how my stop was positioned. Basically as Van's suggested. It should not be a problem to position it, clamp it, and drill. You may need to remove the aileron for drilling and riveting. Trial fitting parts many times is part of the building process, very often, to get good results.

Roberta

aileronstopbu1.jpg

Make a locating fixutre

To locate the aileron stop, I first installed the aileron on the wing, and centered it as specified in the plans. Then I adjusted the aileron push rod to the neutral position using Van's fixture. Leaving the pushrod pinned in the neutral position, I removed the aileron.

Next I made a aileron stop locating fixture from a piece of flat bar that was the same dimensions as the inboard flange of the aileron hinge, including holes for the hinge bolt and the push rod bolt. Then I installed it as if it were the aileron hinge.

After measuring the angular position of this aileron stop locating fixture with the pushrod still in the neutral position, I unpinned the aileron bell crank and moved the aileron stop locating fixture to the maximum up position and clamped it there.

Then I located the aileron stop against the edge of the locating fixture (which is the same as the aileron hinge) and riveted it in place.

The process was easy and the results were very good.

Yeah, this was a bit of a puzzle. You can't clamp the aileron stop, at least I couldn't. I went low tech and used ordinary painters tape to hold the stop in place. I started by loosely taping at about the right spot, then I moved the aileron through the motion to the desired angles. Since the tape gives a little, I used the aileron to nudge the aileron into a reasonably precise spot, checking angles with the digital level.
I then retaped the stop more firmly, checked the swing again making sure it was still good without give or nudges, then pulled the aileron off and drilled. I ended up with 16.5/28 degree swings each side.

Does anyone know the best way to position the aileron stop bracket? The plans show aprox. position and give reference to sect. 15 for min and max travel. There isn't any room to clamp the bracket for drilling.
You could do away with all that fussing and apply Mickey Coggin's very clever and elegantly simple solution to the problem by using Delrin rod as aileron stops. This photo shows close-up detail of one wing temporarily using several area washers to achieve the correct travel. I experimented using different size washers as a "mock-up" tool to help determine the correct diameter Delrin to order. The area washers shown in the photo were replaced when a small length of Delrin rod arrived. The highly workable material was then cut to length and drilled to fit.

Maybe I'm just being dense this morning, but I don't see how this works...

You could do away with all that fussing and apply Mickey Coggin's very clever and elegantly simple solution to the problem by using Delrin rod as aileron stops. This photo shows close-up detail of one wing temporarily using several area washers to achieve the correct travel. I experimented using different size washers as a "mock-up" tool to help determine the correct diameter Delrin to order. The area washers shown in the photo were replaced when a small length of Delrin rod arrived. The highly workable material was then cut to length and drilled to fit.

Delrin Size for RV7?

I am in the process of rig'n the wings to fuse.
I have been playing with the Aileron adjustment relative to the control Stick being 90 (using digital level). After adjustment, I checked my Aileron Up/Down Travel limits per Vans spec's. I am right at the max limits for travel (32/17 Deg) without the the Aileron stops installed. I would like to use the delrin method and would appreciate if anyone could tell me what diamter to use? The larger the diamter, the less travel the Aileron will have.

Thanks Folks

stops

Thanks for the bushing idea. I spent hours trying to get the bracket in the right place. I'm going to go with the bushings.

I did the "delrin" method -- Home depot has short plastic bushings that work great.. they're pretty thin... I think I had to shorten 'em by about 1/32 or so... The inside diameter was pretty much OD of that little tubing spacer that's used.. so it just slips on..

I am in the process of rig'n the wings to fuse.
I have been playing with the Aileron adjustment relative to the control Stick being 90 (using digital level). After adjustment, I checked my Aileron Up/Down Travel limits per Vans spec's. I am right at the max limits for travel (32/17 Deg) without the the Aileron stops installed. I would like to use the delrin method and would appreciate if anyone could tell me what diamter to use? The larger the diamter, the less travel the Aileron will have.

Thanks Folks

The delrin doesn't work for a 9/9a unless you use a spacer that's about 1-1/8"+ in diameter. Any smaller and you'll get too much aileron travel. I didn't want that much sticking out. That said, making them per Van's plans is quite easy. You really need to have the wings on the plane to do this. Don't bother if you're not there yet.

1. Drill both holes in the aileron hinge bracket on the wing.

2. Make the stop out of the 1/8" angle per Van's plans with the top hole drilled per plans.

3. Cleco the stop to the bracket and check for proper travel. The one cleco will hold it just fine

4. If you've got too much travel, up or down, just make a new stop (they take about 2 minutes to make) and drill the top hole just a little bit higher or lower than the original.

5. Do step 3 and 4 again until you get it right.

6. Once you've got the proper movement, match drill the second hole in the stop, rivet them on, and you're done.

It took me three tries to get it perfect. But the whole process took maybe 30 minutes.

Note also that the aileron travel is not the same amount up as it is down. Thus, and again, you really need to have both wings and ailerons on when you're doing this because one aileron's up stop is the down stop on the other wing.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back