What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron skins are warping when trying to flatten a dimple - what would you do?

RVFan671

Well Known Member
Building ailerons on my RV-10 and months ago I was prepping parts for a big primer batch and I didn't catch that the trailing edge, which uses the axe wedge, doesn't get dimpled. I've made similar mistakes and know you can flatten dimples and I started it on a couple but I think because the aileron skins are so thin I'm getting warping and distortion that is pretty bad.

What would / can you do here? Leave the dimples and countersink both sides of the axe wedge? Flatten dimples and countersink skins like the plans call for and pray that the warping will smooth out once riveted?

I'm building a 10 aileron now. Section 21, Page 21-07 Step 6 - "With the exception of the A-1011 Trailing edge, dimple wherever flush rivets will be installed..."

As Richard said - the A-1011 trailing edge is the wedge (it gets countersunk) and the top and bottom skins are all flush rivets. Trailing edge rivets are AN426AD3-3.5 per page 21-10 Figure 3 (double flush) - so so I don't know how you would do this without the skins being dimpled.

Last edited:
Must've misread plans

Ahhh, I misinterpreted the plans this go around then. I was thinking don't dimple skins where they mate to the 1011. I'll build on!

Back