What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron - section 21-09 step 2 mistake

RV6-KPTW

Well Known Member
I was congratulating my self on riveting the aileron bottom skin all by myself (way to go!) and had blind riveted one of the main ribs. I turned the aileron around to rivet the other rib and see that the overlap was incorrect (aw shoot…). Lots of rivets to drill out if this needs to change. Anyone have any experience with this particular failure, did Vans have a recomendations, and then what did you do about it?

And I am also wondering about Step 4, same page: The second sentence says remove the trailing edge, the third sentence says to complete the riveting. Note sure one can do both - that seems a contradiction.

Thanks

IMG_3774.jpeg

Isn't this going to adversely affect the gap between the aileron and the flap and/or wing tip?

I took a hard look at it at the end of the day and see a minor distortion in the top skin. This reversed overlap reduces the actual length of the top skin by the distance of the thickness of the main rib. The excess skin results in a little bulge outward. I don’t like it. Let the drilling commence.

Back