What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Rigging

rleffler

Well Known Member
I've been working on my aileron and flap rigging the past couple of days. I'm still not finished, but I thought I would solicit some opinions on the best methods to finish the rigging.

Here's my data:

Aileron Up Down
Max Travel 32 17
Min Travel 25 15
Right 29.7 17.3
Left 28.7 16.9

Flaps are up and flush with the bottom of the fuselage. Ailerons are flush with the flaps in the neutral position. There is about a .4 degree variance between the two flaps. I'm slightly over the limits on the right aileron at the moment. While the trailing edge of the left flap and aileron are flush, I still have the right aileron about 1/8" shorter than the flap trailing edge.

My question is how far to chase these specs down? Clearly have have to get them within the published specs, but what's the impact if they are within specs but may not be symmetrical? I'm guessing that the roll rate may be slightly different depending on the direction of turn.

On the trailing edge differences, I guess the best method is to disconnect the flap and see what angle do they match.

Any tips on getting these rigged a little closer together would be appreciated.

thanks,

bob

As I recall, I set the ailerons to the flaps with the flaps in reflex, not in neutral.

Did you rig the ailerons using the tool that goes on the bellcrank?? That is where it all needs to start from.

Congrats on getting this far, should not be too long now.:)

As I recall, I set the ailerons to the flaps with the flaps in reflex, not in neutral.

Correct, that's what I did.

Did you rig the ailerons using the tool that goes on the bellcrank?? That is where it all needs to start from.

Used that too.......

That's how I got to this point. They were all way off previously, as well as I had an issue with the ap servo clocking.

I'm just attempting to fine tune this and determining how anal I need to be. Is within specs good enough, or do I need to pursue perfection?

bob

I'm just attempting to fine tune this and determining how anal I need to be. Is within specs good enough, or do I need to pursue perfection?

bob

I never try to attain perfection, it just leaves so little room for improvement.:rolleyes:

Bob, there is a neutral ELEVATOR point for the ailerons. As you move the stick from full forward to full aft you will see both ailerons lift towards the neutral point and then droop again as you move aft past neutral (like a backwards robertson flap sorta). Solution I think is to clamp the elevator at the neutral point so it can't drift. Then recheck/reset your aileron height. Then see what you got.

Back