What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

aileron riggin

acwrench

I'm installing the Ailerons on the wing before I attach the wing. The cutout in the aft spar that I've had to make does not look like the drawing! With this cutout I have been able to get about 17? down aileron and about 27? up aileron.
So, does anyone have pics of the bell crank as it sits in the wing? Does the short push rod move in a linear for and aft motion or does it articulate in some way.
Any last minute ideas about attaching the wings!!!!!!!!

Patrick :confused:

Bellcrank alignment is pretty critical on the RV-6.

The aileron pushrod on the -6 does NOT move linearly. Remember it was a redesign of the -4 wing. The rear spar cutout will have to be hogged out quite a bit to get full travel.

Another note on the -6 is that it is easy to get the bellcrank in an over center position if it is not adjusted just right.

Try assembling...

Any last minute ideas about attaching the wings!!!!!!!!

Patrick :confused:

...the wings alone with the spar splice plates.

With the two wings on saw horses, you can adjust the entire aileron system by bolting on the stick support angles to the spars. This way, you can set the lengths of all the push rods when they are much more accessible.

Don't forget the small washers designed to give more rotational play in the aileron pushrods - they are not shown on early versions of the plans.

Mel,

Will the flap at the outboard end have to be trimmed so as not to interfere? I used a rigging block of 1 3/16" to find neutral. This dim. was called out on the dwg 19a. Is that what your talking about for the overcenter?

Gil,

I'm pretty well committed to setting the wing on Monday as that's when the help arrives. I'll could get a basic dimension of the pushrod and when I take the wing off for shipping, rig it at that time. Is the dimension of 58 1/2" on the dwg pretty close?

In bag #441, I found 8 small washers. I assume these are the ones your talking about! Are these washers only for the bell crank attaches both the long and short aileron pushrods? (4 at each bell crank per wing = 8ea.) I see the washers are only called out on the large pushrod end of the bell crank.

Thanks

Patrick:confused:

Mel,
Will the flap at the outboard end have to be trimmed so as not to interfere? I used a rigging block of 1 3/16" to find neutral. This dim. was called out on the dwg 19a. Is that what your talking about for the overcenter?
Normally the leading edge of the flap gap seal will need to be trimmed a little on the outboard end.
As far as the "over center", make sure that the ailerons will not "lock" at full travel either direction.

Patrick,

On my second wing (after I learned from the first), this is what my cutout ended up looking like. It is not at all like pictured in the plans. This cutout give me full travel to where the uptravel is limited by the hinge and the down travel by the bellcrank. Without any stops installed, I am maybe 1/2 degree beyond the maximum deflection in the manual both directions. This also includes ample clearance so a rivet head can't catch on the hole.

cimg3763d.jpg

cimg3792l.jpg

Gil,

I'm pretty well committed to setting the wing on Monday as that's when the help arrives. I'll could get a basic dimension of the pushrod and when I take the wing off for shipping, rig it at that time. Is the dimension of 58 1/2" on the dwg pretty close?

In bag #441, I found 8 small washers. I assume these are the ones your talking about! Are these washers only for the bell crank attaches both the long and short aileron pushrods? (4 at each bell crank per wing = 8ea.) I see the washers are only called out on the large pushrod end of the bell crank.

Thanks

Patrick:confused:

My drawing says 58.75, which I found a little long, but if you rivet the "cone" into one end only, you can always remove a little later - easier than making the tube longer....:D

I read the plans a little differently, Page 19A calls out four of the Heim rod ends, and right under the callout it gives the attach hardware of nut/bolt and the special little washers 5702-75-060, and says "next to bearing".

It points to only one rod end - but then says "4 reqd".

I did have a bit of binding on the shorter aileron push rod without these washers, so I would use all 8 at the aileron bellcrank, after you make up some sort of tool to hold them in place as you put in the bolt...:)

Colin, great picture! Mine doesn't look like that but I have 27/17 on both sides.

Gil, looked a little closer and found the small washers at both ends of the large pushrods.

Thanks,
Patrick

aileron rigging

I have been working on my right wing for about 6 months now. Very slow build. I have gotten the hole cut through the rear spar. I started out using Van's dimensions. Big mistake. What I ended up with was a giant hole and most the hole next to the stub rib was not needed but called out for from the plans. I ended up drilling everything back off and replacing the reinforcing plate with a new one. I then cut the stub rib flange off and replaced with a new one and also added a .063 angle across the top of the rear spar the whole width of the rib bay to span across my giant hole. It was probably not necessary to do this but I have some mods like a larger gas tank and I just do want to chance it by ending my tank in the same vacinity as this aileron pushrod hole. This is my 5th set of wings and I should have known better but it's been 5/6 years since my last set I completed. The hole is actually closer to the inboard of 56.5 inches that it calls out in the plans. I would start with a small hole in the same vertical position on the rear spar but center the hole at about 56 inches. Mine has perfect clearance around the pushrod in both up/down position. It looks like a little heart shape. I can get 27 up and 17 down before my bellcrank hits the rib stifferners. I have never been able to get full deflections on the -6, it's gotta be the geometry.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is a "trick" or not, but...

...I came up with this solution to install the 5702-75-060 washers on both sides of the HEIM rod end:

1. Find a long-ish sacrificial AN3 bolt that you can cut the threads and head off of. You want to end up with a nice and smooth rod. You can also use a hardware store 3/16 steel rod if you do not want to consume any AN hardware.

2. Measure the thickness of the rod-end bearing plus the thickness of the two 5702-75-060 washers. This measured thickness is the length of the AN3 rod that you need.

3. Slightly bevel both ends of this cut-to-length rod. This becomes your custom drift pin.

4. When you are ready to install the bearing and washers, use your new "cut-to-size" drift pin in the bearing, place washers on both sides of the bearing, and slip the assembly into the Bellcrank. The drift pin will hold all the pieces together and in alignment. As the rod end bearing is slid into its proper position, you will see the drift pin align with the bolt hole in the bellcrank "ears".

5. Once the bellcrank is aligned with the rod end, use the proper call out for the attach bolt and push the bolt into the bellcrank-rod end. This will push the drift pin out as the bolt slides into final position...keeping those troublesome washers in their proper position.

Can anyone identify where the AN970-5 washers go. They were in the 661A-1 bag with a lot of the aileron hardware but not called out on dwg#46 or #19!
I've set the angle of incednce and used the AN5 bolts on the aft spar and ghat didn't call for the big AN970-5 washers!!!!

Regards,
Patrick

I was wondering how those little washers were going to end up in the right place, great Trick!

Did you ever find where these AN970-5 washers go?

Patrick

There are no an970-5 (5/16 large area washers) in the RV6 control system. You may have been given those by mistake. You should have a couple of an970-3 (3/16) washers that go next to the rod end bearing at the aileron end of the pushrod. There are very few 5/16 bolts in the aircraft. I can only think of the rear spar attach, undercarriage leg to engine mount and possibly some in the wing spar attach. None of these positions call for large area washers though.

Last edited:
AN970-5 washers ??

I checked over my -6A drawings yesterday and could not find any call out for the -5 washers. I checked the parts list for Bag 661A-1 that came with my slow build, and it does call out the -5 washers, and a checked of the inventoried quantity was ...2. So, they are in the group of parts that you get. I do not know if I ever used them or found another use for 'em.

I do remember calling Van's many years ago about having some extra parts that I could not find any call out for. I was told that sometimes the same BAG xxx is used on several different aircraft, and it was more cost effective for Van's to include the few "extra" parts in the one bag and not have to stock several different bags with essentially the same parts. Confusing for us builders, but cost effective for Van.

Maybe this is the case here??

Thanks for looking into the hardware issue. Finished rigging the ailerons tonight with no parts left over except those washers.

Thanks to all for the info

On to the flaps next!!!

Patrick

Back