What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron pushrods

JRV

Hi all,
First post here. Emp almost finished, Qb fuse and wings about to be unpacked.

My first question (of many, I am sure!)
I see from builders websites that one of the early tasks with the qb wings is to cut to length and rivet the pushrods. Discussing this with a friend who finished an RV 6 last year, his thoughts were that should wait till the wings are on.
What are the RV 7 builders experiences, Have others just cut to plan, or waited?

Thanks

My 2 cents...

...I'd wait. I built them when the builder's manual called for it, and wished I didn't. They just ended up being dragged around in the rib holes. I did my best to wrap and protect them, but they still got knicked up a bit.

I can't see why this will need to wait. It is not one of the early tasks but getting it done will just take one of those things out of the way.

Congrats on your kit

Just build them now and put them on the shelf. They'll be the right length. That's the good thing about match drilled kits. There's just no way to get the wrong distance between the bellcranks and the sticks!

I built to plans as well. One of the things you'll do a few steps down after the ailerons are on is set the positioning of them. Much easier to do and make adjustments while the wings are in the cradle vice after their on and everything is close to buttoned up.

Protect them!

I made to plans and protected them. I used some of that foam pipe insulation you can get at the big box store to put around the pushrods to keep them from getting scraped up. Only a dollar or two each!

That's the ticket...

I made to plans and protected them. I used some of that foam pipe insulation you can get at the big box store to put around the pushrods to keep them from getting scraped up. Only a dollar or two each!

...I did the same thing, and I installed them in the wings as soon as the wings were finished. They've been there ever since.

The -6 plans were, well "less accurate"...:rolleyes:
In fact the latest -6 plans say "determine at assembly", so your friend is correct for a -6.

The -7 dimensions should be fine.

Back