What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Pushrod to Bellcrank problem QB Wing

ivanjr

The aileron pushrod as it goes through the hole in rear spar is touching one rivet and then then at full down position is chaffing against the inboard aileron bracket. I have checked parts positions and everything seems to be in the correct orientation and alignment. If anyone has seen this and has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Ivan

Pushrod rivet chafing

I had the exact same problem on by SB wing. What I did was get a file and manually enlarged the passthru hole (the one that is mostly rectangular) until there was easy clearance.

It's the same on all the -10's. Once your wings get mounted and you fully deflect the ailerons, the stop on the opposite side prevents the pushrod from moving far enough to contact the rivet line at full down. The ailerons have quite a bit of differential throw, or lots more up than down for the same stick travel.

In one of the other threads someone mentions
Take advantage of the optional construction method and weld the aileron end of the pushrod to the rod end. This method eliminates the "rivet heads rubbing on the rear spar hole" problem.
Steve
I have read through the plans and cannot find any reference to this method.
Is it OK to do it and secondly does this method come from Van's?
Thanks.

There was a lot of info in previous posts on welding rod end bearings and the potential problems of doing so. As was mentioned a couple of posts ago, it will not be a problem once your wings are mounted and the controls stops are functioning. This topic has been discussed in this forum and Matronics several times.
Press on and it will be fine.

Jan,

Worst case scenario I have seen is you will have to clock the pushrod so the manuf. head is on the side close to the opening. I've rigged four sets of RV-10ailerons and they were all the same. No worries, press on!!

Thanks guys,
I was hoping to get a few "pros and cons" answers. So can someone tell me what are the pros and cons please?

Back