What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron pushrod priming question

aussierv7builder

I'm New Here
Hi Everyone,
Just in the process of fabricating the W-716 Aileron Pushrods. I have primed the pushrod tubes inside and out, but my question is this. Do I need to prime the VA-111 Threaded Rod Ends as well?

Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,
Steve Last
RV-7

Rod ends

No Steve, they are alodined for corrosion protection.

Edit: So after looking back at my builder's log, " I " alodined the pushrod ends and alodined the tips of the pushrod. No primer under the ends because of fitment issues.

Last edited:
I just picked up my wing kit in Nov and my VA-111's were not anodized. The only anodized parts were the main spars. Last week I primed both the pushrods and VA-111's with Stewart Systems. Should my VA-111's have been anodized???

Not anodized

My pushrod ends were not anodized and I had a heck of a time getting them installed. The primer buildup basically made them a press fit, so getting them installed with the holes correctly aligned was a real bear. Here's what I ended up doing:

After pounding one in too far:
20090702-07-tn.jpg

I improvised a little screw jack to pull it back out. Note that I'm not pulling on the threads here...rather, the head of the bolt and a washer is inside the tube.

20090703-03-tn.jpg
20090703-04-tn.jpg

Using a similar screw jack idea made putting the rest of them in easy. Again, I'm not using the threads in the fitting:

20090703-06-tn.jpg

They came out reasonably well:

20090703-08-tn.jpg

Good luck!

Hi Everyone,
Just in the process of fabricating the W-716 Aileron Pushrods. I have primed the pushrod tubes inside and out, but my question is this. Do I need to prime the VA-111 Threaded Rod Ends as well?

Thanks in advance.

Yours sincerely,
Steve Last
RV-7

Not at all. If those corrode, the rest of your plane is junk in any case.

Back