What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron installation interference?

swisseagle

Well Known Member
Hello,

I want to install my ailerons but I have a few interferences:

The shophead of the rivet on the aileron-hingebracket contacts the aileron-steelbracket if I mount it as vans say it on the plans. Interesting is also that vans says to have the flushside outboard and the shophead inboard, but if I look at the space available, then it should be the other way around? But the riveting is already done.

Aileron mount-V2.jpg

The AN960-10 washer is as thick as the rivethead so the gap is nearly nothing! Vans says two normal and an light washer on the outboardside and only one on the inboard side.

Gaps-V2.jpg

How can i solve this? Turn over the rivets .. but the hole is already contersunk, doing a double countersunk rivet?Upgrade to an AN5?

Im a bit concerned about the marginal gap here, also on the inboardbracket where the big washer is only 0.1mm away from the aileron-hingebracket.

Thanks alot,

regards, Dominik

RV7A

Here's my 2 cents... There should be a little room to move the ailerons inboard/outboard a bit as needed. Forget what washers were called out. Make it work. Shift washers around until it clears in all places...inboard & outboard on both hinges.

Then take photos and/or record the washer combination so you'll always be able to reinstall it identically if & when the ailerons come off.

Then drill your flap hinge so as to provide the gap you like between the aileron & flap. Flaps & wing tips get located/cleared relative to the ailerons.

I had the same issue and I too don't understand why the plans call for the flush head on the other side. I was able to mash the shop head down far enough to get some clearance but wasn't happy with it. I ended up drilling them out (one on each side) and going double flush.

dan said:
Then take photos and/or record the washer combination so you'll always be able to reinstall it identically if & when the ailerons come off.
Now you tell me! ;) I wasted time making a diagrams of the washers... duh, take a picture! :eek: :)

Dimensions...

Minimum shop head height is 0.040... it looks like that rivet could be squished a bit more.

A thick and thin washer combination is 0.094, so if you can get these two washers in, and set the rivet a bit more, it will be safe from contact...

But if it's not too late, Dan's solution is better.... :)

gil in Tucson

Hello,

thanks for the answers!

- Fotos instead of diagrams :) thats a good one!

- I allready install it with the setup from the plan, but did not check the gap to this rivet. Allready setup the flap and wingtip, so spaicing is done :(

I try to squeeze this rivet a bit more (or turn it over) and ad a thin washer, this should work without change my gaps to much.

Regards, Dominik

Back